Friday 1 September 2023

In My Kitchen - September 2023

It's September.  I take a gulp, and gird my loins (now there's an image) for a huge month ahead.  Medical tests, visitors, giving a talk to the Historical society, and the usual stuff of life to do :=)  And two short stories to write for competitions.  And a cataract op. looming on the horizon.  My bucket of resilience is getting a bit low at the moment, but we persevere, don't we?  What else is there to do?  Bring on October!  

So check out my kitchen stuff, and let me see yours!  Now, there's a thought ...


In My Kitchen:


I dried thyme leaves in the microwave

I bought Greek oregano and olive oil

and more olive oil, relish and some choc freckles

we bought eggs from Nadra Egg Farm - in the middle of suburbia for 75 years!

yep even more olive oil - well, it is (very) late harvest season

and our friend the Poet of beautiful words brought us her homemade marmalade

and there was another Charlotte Ree book

my cuz sent me these birthday tea towels in June

the curveball - a naiive painting by Annie Holcombe, a QLD artist


Wow, what a month ahead!  Hope yours is fulfilling and wonderful.  Spring has sprung here early, so flowers are blooming and birds are nesting.  The magpies here are very dangerous this month, so cyclists have to wear helmets with spikes!  Nah, not kidding.  Those maggies can produce blood!

not my photo, but this is what people do!

Sorry, this photo is from a cycling page, with no photographer's details.  And it's not just magpies; those crazy plovers also like to have a go at you!  I'm about to head out for a walk, and I'm hoping the maggies are too busy nesting to attack me.



c. Sherry M.

Be a part of our friendly IMK community by adding your post here too - everybody welcome!  We'd love to see you.  Tell us about your kitchen (and kitchen garden) happenings over the past month.  Dishes you've cooked, preserves you've made, herbs and veg. in your garden, kitchen gadgets, and goings-on.  And one curveball is welcome - whatever you fancy; no need to be kitchen-related.  

The link is open from the first of the month to midnight on the thirteenth of the month, every month.

Options for adding your post to IMK:

1. Add via the Add Link button at the bottom of this post.  Instructions can be found on the sidebar of this page, under the Add your IMK link OR:

2. Comment on this post, providing a link to your post so I can add it manually to the list below OR:

3. Email me: sherrym1au@gmail.com, with your link or any queries about the link process, or if you would like it to be added after the 13th ('cos I'm happy to add it for you later)


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

40 comments:

  1. Your kitchen looks great — you must have dozens of recipes that use olive oil! That spiky helmet reminds me of an article I read about birds and spikes. It seems that various places were using similar spikes to protect their property from bird nuisances, but the birds plucked up the spikes and used them to protect their own nests!

    Have a great spring (while we descend into autumn).
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we only use olive oil for cooking so we do go thru a fair bit! That's funny about the birds and the spikes Mae!

      Delete
  2. I needed Olive oil today but didn’t buy it at triple the price. I will make do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I buy my oil from local(ish) producers; well, Aussie farmers anyway! Gotta support our farmers, I say :)

      Delete
  3. I have been dehydrating up a storm in my kitchen this month. I love marmalade and prefer it to jam or jelly any day. It is on my list to make this winter with the oranges.
    I hope everything goes well for you this month. It sounds like you have a LOT on your plate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes i enjoy marmalade too, esp. homemade, and cumquat is a fave. Yep lots on my plate indeed! thanks.

      Delete
  4. Homemade jam is the freshest and best. Looks like that you are going to have a busy month. I thought megpies are harmless, at least they are here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes it is Angie. I like to make a quick jam, which is just a thickened conserve really but delish! Nope, magpies here are definitely not harmless in Spring :=)

      Delete
  5. I love seeing which olive oils you've bought each month. Hope the medical tests and cataract op go smoothly xx
    from Tandy I Lavender and Lime https://tandysinclair.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Tandy. Went to my GP today and she says I'm doing well :)

      Delete
  6. Sorry to hear you are having a testing time. One thing you don’t have to stress over is your coming cataract operation. I had both my eyes done 18 months ago, two weeks apart and it was over so quickly that I could not believe it was over in such a short time, literally 10 minutes each operation. Here’s hoping you have the same experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Merle. this year has not been my fave of all time :) Fingers crossed for a good experience re the eye ops.

      Delete
  7. Naive painting is so gorgeous. There's a really nice range of crockery by V&B with naive design. Thanks for sharing your new additions Sherry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Lorraine. OOh I must check out the V&B crockery.

      Delete
  8. Hope you survived your walk and that you survive the coming month too! As my psychologist used to tell me, just remember that you can do a hard things! You always have the most delicious additions to your kitchen and I just LOVE that painting! Hope it's a September to remember for all the right reasons :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep all good - no maggie attacks - yet! Thanks Sammie for dropping by and the helpful words. Yes let's hope this month is a goodie :)

      Delete
  9. OMG - the magpie deflecting helmet has me laughing so hard I am crying. But I know it is needed! I love the koala towel, and the painting is lovely. A good month in your kitchen yet again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It does sound like a busy month for you. I had no idea you could dry herbs in the microwave. I always put mine on a sunny windowsill, which takes forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes you just give them 20 second bursts till they're dry and crispy:) No longer than 2 minutes all up tho.

      Delete
  11. Oops, that was my comment about drying herbs on the windowsill. I accidentally added it anonymously.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sherry, I'm running behind, where does the time go? I love the naive painting, and I think you must have an Olive Oil cellar right next door to your wine cellar. Can't have too much Olive Oil, right? You have also reminded me that I must attend to my thyme bush and dehydrate some leaves. I also must get cracking on my IMK. Take care my friend, wish I could give you some of our honey to boost your immune system:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know sept 4 already!? Do you use a dehydrator for the thyme leaves? Looking forward to your IMK post.

      Delete
  13. Good luck with September - sounds like interesting times! Love your naiive artwork - and all the olive oil and home preserving. Hope you avoided the magpie! Google is messing with me so if it does not say, this is Johanna @green gourmet giraffe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Johanna. Another busy month ahead. Bloody Blogspot!

      Delete
  14. Wait. Helmets with spikes because of magpies? Now I need to google a video to understand why one needs such a scary looking contraption on their head! And a cataract operation, too? Yes, bring on October! At least you're stocking up on dried herbs for future recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had no idea you can dry thyme in the microwave! I always thought drying herbs is such a great idea but never got around to doing it.. sometimes when I have too much I make pesto or some kind of herb paste that I keep in the freezer. Wishing you good luck for your cataract operations

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes it's so easy to dry them this way. 20 second bursts for no longer than 2 minutes tops. thank you!

      Delete
  16. Oh wow, Sherry! I had no idea the birds were so aggressive in Australia! That bike helmet is something, never seen one like it!! I hope your month goes smoothly, its sounds like you will be very busy. Please take care down there!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep they are very angry little birds :) thank you!

      Delete
  17. That anti-magpie helmet is hilarious! They are annoying! I'll have to try nuke-drying some thyme before my plant dies. it's been so hot it is not happy. Working on my IMK post last night, as I thought it had to be in by tomorrow, but I see it's the 13th. Whew, I can slow down and wait a few days! Can't have 2 posts published so close together. Best of luck with your cataract surgery. Papa' had both his done and it was super quick and easy! Ciao, Cristina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes they are funny but useful :) Yep you've got till the 13th so plenty of time. THanks re the op. Still very worried and nervous but will be happy to be able to see properly.

      Delete
  18. Dive bombing magpies? What? Sending you good thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The birds dive bomb???!!! How awful. Cataract surgery is life-changing, I have thrown away my glasses. Sounds like it's a busy month. I love all that delicious olive oil. Thank you for hosting Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep they are very feisty when breeding. Can't wait to have the op. done now! cheers!

      Delete

  20. September indeed seems to be a packed month for you! Medical tests, visitors, a talk to the Historical society, and so much more. Your resilience is admirable, and it sounds like you're handling it all with grace.
    Your kitchen additions look intriguing! Olive oil, homemade marmalade, and even choc freckles - a delightful mix of flavors. Plus, those birthday tea towels are a thoughtful gift from your cousin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep very packed Raymund. I am truly trying to cope with it all as well as i can.

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.