Saturday 16 March 2024

Italian Potato Salad

Did you know there are over 4,000 varieties of potato?  Wow, and yet we see just a few in our supermarkets and greengrocers.  I have no green thumb (I've just killed another pot plant), but I once tried to grow some potatoes in a bucket.  I had read that you could just throw in some sprouted potatoes along with some potting soil, and eventually you'd end up with a bucket full of tasty tubers. 

Sadly, this was not to be, my friends, and I just ended up with a heavy bucket of damp soil, after watering and waiting for weeks.  It would have been especially sad for my friend who had been nurturing the bucket for days while we were away :=(  But I decided this was something she did not need to know! 

This recipe is from Donna Hay's Christmas Feasts and Treats.  It's great for those watching their weight as there is no mayo or sour cream.  But it does have lots of flavour!  Bake or grill some fish or chicken, and you have a delicious dinner on hand.  I teamed it with some baked salmon. 


add a protein and you're ready for dinner


Serves 3-4:

ingredients:

800g./28 oz baby potatoes

half a red onion, finely sliced

1/2-1 Tbs lemon zest

65 mL/2 biiiiiig oz of lemon juice

40 mL/a scant 1.5 oz of EV olive oil

2 long, hot red chillies, finely chopped (and de-seeded if you wish)

30g./1 biiiig oz salted baby capers, rinsed

2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced

a handful of dill, and of parsley, roughly chopped or torn

50g./1.5 biiig oz of rocket leaves or baby spinach  (I used spinach)

sea salt and freshly ground black pepper


Method:

First zap the potatoes in your microwave for 5-6 minutes (or boil in salted water) till tender

Drain, leave to cool, then slice (very) thickly, or cut into chunks

By this time, you've sliced the onion, and zested and juiced the lemon

So put the onion, lemon zest and juice into a bowl that won't react - i.e. - not metal!, so glass or ceramic - and let this sit for a bit

Now grab a frypan and heat the EVO oil over medium heat

In go the chillies and capers, and let 'em cook for several minutes (4-5 maybe?) till getting a wee bit crispy

Add the garlic and cook/stir for another minute or two (or 3) till the whole shebang is golden (but watch it so it doesn't burn)

Now find yourself a pretty salad bowl and tip in the potatoes, herbs, onion, rocket, salt and pepper 

Add the chilli mixture to the bowl (yep the oil and all from the pan)

On goes the onion pickling liquid, and give it a good stir

Serve with your protein of choice - I cooked up some fresh salmon 


Notes:

I made a half quantity of this salad - but just double everything for the original Donna recipe


ingredients gathered

get slicing ...

watch those baby capers puff up

ready for tossing

ready to eat

add a bit of baked or grilled salmon or chicken



c, Sherry M.


42 comments:

  1. That looks like a great meal with grilled salmon, Sherry. I love Donna Hay :-)) and I have saved so many recipes from her site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Angie. We enjoyed it. I don't know much about Donna Hay. I've only cooked a couple of her recipes for Cookbook club :)

      Delete
  2. This really does sound like a flavorful potato salad and one I know I would enjoy. Karen (Back Road Journal)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sherry, this sounds so refreshing, a delicious change from the potato salad I grew up on. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Were they mayo heavy? Yes this is much lighter.

      Delete
  4. You had me at “potato salad” — I love any type of potato dish, especially salad, and I’m sure I would like this one. I’m very fond of the French version: pommes à l’huile, that is, potatoes in an oil dressing, also no mayo.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes I am a big potato fan. I like the salads with mayo, and with olive oil. I just like 'em all :)

      Delete
  5. I love potatoes in any shape, way or form. I've grown sweet potatoes, but they take ages to grow and I wonder if your potatoes needed more time? And maybe less water? We get a handful of varieties here, nothing like in the UK.
    Tandy | Lavender and Lime https://tandysinclair.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too! I did let them grow for months I think - a long time anyway. I must try again one day.

      Delete
  6. I didn't know about that many varieties of potatoes, but my mouth is watering at the flavors in your potato salad. Definitely saving this one, Sherry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so good. I love these ingredients together. Do you mean you grow pot plants? Or do Australians call potted plants pot plants?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep a plant in a pot! I managed to kill a cyclamen. I didn't realise the hard lump in the pot was the tuber!

      Delete
  8. This potato salad looks delicious and will give it a try this week nom nom

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love potatoes and potato salads. This looks like a really good one. I'll be sure and put that on my need to make list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yum.. this looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I actually prefer those potato (and pasta) salads that do not have any mayo dressing. Some olive oil and lemon juice or balsamic is my way to go. This looks and sounds perfect to me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I actually prefer those potato (and pasta) salads that do not have any mayo dressing. Some olive oil and lemon juice or balsamic is my way to go. This looks and sounds perfect to me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This potato salad looks particularly interesting, I'd love to try! Next time I cook salmon, I'd serve with such salad ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks FT! Yes the salmon went well with this salad.

      Delete
  14. This salad looks like it has a lot of flavour to it! What a shame about the potatoes. I remember trying to do experiments like this as a kid and they would never work out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine. Yes it was a pity, but a fun try :=)

      Delete
  15. 4,000 varieties of potatoes!? Well they say we learn something new everyday...so that's my something new! I like the flavors in this salad - we love Italian around our house. Bummer about growing the potatoes, but at least now you know, right??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep that's a lot of potatoes! Yet we only see a very few types at the shops.

      Delete
  16. Excellent choice to pair this with salmon - just perfect!

    I actually did grow potatoes in a buket with success... limited success (not a to of potatoes). My directions had me cut off the bottom of the bucket so as to allow for good drainage. Whiel they were good, the mosquitoes they brought were not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's great David. Yes I think my seeded potatoes may have drowned in their bucket :)

      Delete
  17. Now this is my kind of potato salad. So much nicer in my opinion than the mayo or sour cream kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Frank. Mayo can be a bit heavy!

      Delete
  18. Growing up, my dad was a rice man while my mom was a potato woman. I've always tended to like potatoes a bit more than rice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like both but I try to keep the carbs off my plate these days :)

      Delete
  19. Wow, who knew there were so many potato varieties out there? I'm sorry to hear about your gardening misadventure with the potato bucket, but hey, we've all been there with the plant casualties, I am not a green thumb my self 😁

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.