Tuesday 1 October 2024

In My Kitchen - October 2024

Ho ho ho!  Do I hear those sleigh bells ringing already?  We were at the local Post Office the other day, and there were several (toy) Santas hanging from the walls plus fairy lights!  Noooooo ...  Nah, not gonna do it this year.  My name will be Scrooge :=)

What a month!  It has been hot and cold and busy, and our Jaboticaba tree went nuts.  I am going to sneak in a photo for you.  It is hard to do anything with the fruit as it often falls off within a couple of days.  Our mango tree is also flowering madly at the moment.  It is an old tree so we don't get much (if any) fruit from it.


the multitudinous fruits grow straight from the trunk and branches!

And they go from green to black in a couple of days.  There are thousands of them on the tree as I write.  I have tried to make jam in the past but the pectin in the skin is so strong, it has generally turned to concrete - hehehehe ...


In My Kitchen:


I bought a cute little plate at Logan Art Gallery - 
after checking out the Brett Whiteley exhibition

I made another batch of pickled cukes

I bought some Marimekko paper napkins

I grabbed a few goodies from our local providore Mumbleberry

and I bought these online

oh yep! another cookbook

our Iranian friends brought this back from Iran for me

I bought two lovely tablecloths from a hippie shop in Northern Rivers!

I made tomato ketchup for Mr P. (and Cookbook Club)

and I bought some herbs and spices :=)

and I added some zingy yuzu salt to my collection of salts


and here comes the curveball! Gelato Bob by our mate Chainsaw Newton!



c. Sherry M.


Be a part of our friendly IMK community by adding your post here too - everybody welcome!  We'd love to have you visit.  Tell us about your kitchen (and kitchen garden) happenings over the past month.  Dishes you've cooked, preserves you've made, herbs and veg. in your garden, kitchen gadgets, and goings-on.  And one curveball is welcome - whatever you fancy; no need to be kitchen-related.  

The link is open from the first of the month to midnight on the thirteenth of the month, every month.

Options for adding your post to IMK:

1. Add via the Add Link button at the bottom of this post.  Instructions can be found on the sidebar of this page, under the Add your IMK link OR:

2. Comment on this post, providing a link to your post so I can add it manually to the list below OR:

3. Email me: sherrym1au@gmail.com, with your link or any queries about the link process, or if you would like it to be added after the 13th ('cos I'm happy to add it for you later)

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

12 comments:

  1. Great things in your kitchen once more. I love the way Marimekko designs keep returning! I had that pattern of table napkins recently but in red. I also have socks in the blue pattern (but they are very old!)

    Thank you for hosting and for sharing all your nice new flavors.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. An excellent edition of IMK! I love saffron — probably my favorite spice in the rack! In contrast, the garlic? No way — ick! Both Mark and I love Marimekko — we both owned Marimekko bedspreads when we met — quite timeless! Love your pickles — a good reminder to make some! Is that a wombat on the plate? Fun month… still September here, thought, but looking forward to a cooler October! It has been 43°C all week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always love your IMK posts. You find a lot of really neat items. I love the table clothes and it's nice to see another person that has a salt collection. I'll be on the look out for the one you just got. So far, black sea salt is one of my favorites. Have a great month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of a Jaboticaba tree! had to google it. what does it taste like?? so intriguing indeed! I'm also fascinated by that gelato bob, I thought it was real gelato for a second but it must be ceramic or something? so cool! thanks for hosting and have a great month. PS I think Xmas is overrated too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Jaboticaba tree looks so impressive! You have so many good stuff..pink peppercorns are one of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm impressed that you made tomato ketchup, I bet it is terrific. Karen (Back Road Journal)

    ReplyDelete
  7. All the mince pies and Christmas treats are in the shops here, I don't know that I'm ready! So much goodness in one post, I absolutely love Gelato Bob and now I'm off to google Jacoticaba! Hope you have a delicious month xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. So much to love I don't even know where to start. Those tablecloths are beautiful. How lovely of your friends to bring you saffron. Your pickles look mouthwatering.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice plate! I've heard good things about that Diana Henry book. Lots of lovely goodies in your pantry too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never seen one of those trees. Amazing. A mango tree would be lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Jaboticaba tree is amazing. First time I've ever seen one. Enjoy the yuzu zest.
    Tandy | Lavender and Lime https://tandysinclair.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I see that gorgeous Marimeko pattern on a cookie!!! great roundup!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.