My best friend at high school had Scottish parents, who still kept their accents after many decades here. Her mum introduced me to recipes like Clootie dumplings, a delicious dried-fruit pudding. Not sure if it's Scottish, but my friend introduced me to Heinz baked beans on toast with grated cheese, under the grill till it melts. So good!
Hubby and I backpacked around Scotland way back. We loved it! And almost met Princess Di (told you it was way back). I think the Queen was residing at Balmoral too when we were nearby. And we had a gander at the little kirk (church) she used to attend when in Scotland. Such a shame we didn't catch up with the Loch Ness monster. I would love to go back!
Recipe by the Roving Haggis!
Makes 1 large jar:
ingredients:
400g./14 oz fresh beetroot
150g./5.3 oz sliced white (or red) onion (or French shallot)
100 mL/3.4 oz apple cider vinegar
100 mL/3.4 oz malt vinegar
150 mL/5 oz water
120g./4 oz caster sugar
1 Tbs sea salt
1 bay leaf (or 2)
1 tsp black peppercorns
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp juniper berries (I used Tasmanian mountain pepperberries)
1 tsp mustard seeds
Method:
Boil the beetroots till tender, then cool, peel and cut into big chunks
Finely slice the onion (or French shallot)
Layer the beetroot chunks and the sliced onion into a large jar
Now place all the other ingredients - vinegars, water and spices - into a medium saucepan, and bring it to a simmer, till the sugar is dissolved
Let it cool for a few minutes, then pour into the jar with the veg. (and shove another bay leaf in, if you please)
Give the jar a rotation or two (make sure the lid is well closed), then in it goes to the fridge for a few days - so tasty, I just eat it straight out of the jar :=)
Notes:
Okay, I confess - I bought vacuum-sealed, pre-cooked beetroots!

.jpeg)







I can get my husband to eat many vegetables he doesn't like, but never beetroot...
ReplyDeletesame with my husband!
DeleteLaura loves pickled beets, but I've never tried making our own. Add that to the list! Also, we love Scotland, too. Have you ever looked up videos of Clann An Drumma? You should do it!
ReplyDeleteoh they are so easy and delicious David.
DeleteOoh yum!
ReplyDeleteyes indeed!
DeleteNeither my husband nor I like beetroot. I was born and grew up in Scotland, but neither of my parents were Scottish so I first tried things like dumpling out of the home. We did have haggis, neeps and tatties at home though. I haven't been back for 8 years.
ReplyDeletethey are earthy, and i guess that's why hubby doesn't like them. We loved Scotland!
DeleteOops! that last comment about haggis etc was me.
ReplyDeletethanks!
DeleteI think it's a great hack to use pre cooked beetroot! Scotland is so beautiful so I hope you do get back.
ReplyDeleteme too:=) So much easier and cleaner. Yep Scotland is wonderful.
DeleteI looked up the cookbook on Amazon. It is a little pricy for me to gamble on as a pre-purchase. I will wait until viewer reviews come out to decide if I want to give it a try, as I am totally unfamiliar with Scottish cooking.
ReplyDeletei love the recipes of hers i have seen so far!
DeletePre-cooked beets? Sign me up!!!
ReplyDeleteabsolutely!
DeleteMy grandma's family, the Milby family, were from Scotland. Maybe we are relatives, Sherry!
ReplyDeletehehehe - for sure :)
DeleteI love pickled beets but have never made them. Soon it will be beet season here and I can’t wait to make these. I love that it makes one jar, and the fact that you admitted to using vacuum-packed beets means I can make them year-round! Yay! ~ David
ReplyDeleteoh these are worth a go David!
DeleteUsually I save your recipes -- but I think I might give this one a pass!
ReplyDeletenot a beetroot fan? Nor is my hubby. :)
DeleteThose pre-roasted beetroot are so handy! I often buy them too when I'm making a big dinner.
ReplyDeleteOh so handy!
DeleteI'm always looking for ways to eat more beetroot, said to be very good for us. But how did I not hear of Ali Stoner aka the Roving Haggis? I really like the stoner Haggis for her.
ReplyDeleteAmalia
xo
i love beetroot! and i love this recipe of Ali's. Her other recipes are good too.
Delete