Wednesday, 23 September 2026

Baked Bean Scones

Do other bloggers/readers know of Briony May?  She was a contestant in The Great British Bake Off in 2018, and has gone from strength to strength in the UK food world, and now hosts Escape to the Country.  She has been doing this zany thing of making scones from A-Z, and is currently up to the letter V, I think. 

So I decided to make some baked bean scones, as I had some wee tins in the pantry (and fridge).  I can't wait to try some of her other mad scones!  She started off with hummus, then graduated to the A-Z, including N for Nutella which was a sad failure, she said.  

Quick rant here - as anyone else noticed that recipes are starting to use fan-forced oven temps. as the default? - and then putting the regular oven temperature.  I almost missed that Briony was using fan-forced, as she had only written 'fan' after the temperature, which I only just noticed on the next line of the recipe.  I find it really annoying!  Grrrrr!  Rant over :=)


of course plenty of butter on your warm scone, my friend!


Makes 4 small scones:

ingredients:

150g./5.3 oz baked beans (I used Heinz, of course), mashed

125g./4.4 oz self-raising flour (or 125g. plain flour + 1 tsp baking powder)

1/2 tsp sea salt

about a dozen grinds fresh black pepper

1/2 tsp dried parsley

1 tsp dried chives

1 Tbs milk

Parmesan cheese, grated - about 3-4 Tbs or so


pretty obvious what this is :=)


Method:

Place the mashed-up beans, flour, salt, pepper and herbs into a large mixing bowl

Add 1.5-2 Tbs of the grated Parmesan into the mixture

Give it a good mix, then shape with your hands into a dough, then into a small ball - this is a dry-looking mixture, but it will come together without added liquid (I was afraid I'd have to add milk)

Place the ball of dough onto a paper-lined baking tray, and cut into quarters

Brush the tops with the milk, then sprinkle on the rest of the cheese

Bake for 10-12 minutes at 200C/400F (mine took 13 mins.)

Split and spread with lots of butter

we love pepper!


Notes:

Notes?  Are there any notes?  Maybe not.  I just have to add that Mr P. really liked these, and said that you can't really taste the beans at all!  Oh yes, I forgot to say that Briony says to bake these at 180C fan, which of course is 200C fan-less :=)

Oh yes, don't worry too much about the mashing of the beans!  I just used a fork, and gave them a good seeing-to, but I didn't worry about a few lumpy bits!



grab those ingredients

throw everything into your mixing bowl

place the ball of dough onto your lined tray and cut into quarters

brush with milk and sprinkle with Parmesan

golden and beautiful after 13 mins. at 200C/400F

can't wait to try 'em

let's hoe in

Mr P. is keen! (hasn't his head healed well?)


of course it's beans!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.