Tuesday 26 April 2016

Nigella's Split Pea Soup With Chilli, Ginger And Lime

How would you best describe the recipes from Nigella's latest cookbook?  The words "virtuous" and "wholesome" spring to mind, a bit like a Swiss milkmaid.  Think rosy cheeks and shiny hair; think cowbells tinkling and shepherds yodelling down the valleys. No, hang on, that's Heidi I'm thinking of.  

So far the book is living up to its title - Simply Nigella.   The recipes (okay, I've only made 2 so far)  are simply made, and certainly have a different feel to her previous books.  She is obviously on a bit of a health kick at the moment, which is reflected in the recipes here.  I do love the way she doesn't throw it in your face that they are low-fat, vegan or whatever though.  In fact, she says she "hates the worthy association that comes with vegan cakes", for instance.  Me too!  




healthy, low-fat soup     



ingredients:


500g. yellow split peas

6 spring onions, thinly sliced

3 red chillies, finely chopped

2 cloves garlic, grated or minced

2 litres water

2 teaspoons vegetable or chicken stock powder

5cm. piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated

zest and juice of 2 limes

salt to taste

To serve - chopped coriander leaves, and/or chillies and spring onions


Method:


Place the split peas, spring onions, chillies, garlic and water into a large, heavy-based saucepan

Give it a good stir and bring it to the boil on a medium heat

Turn it down a bit once it has boiled and boil-gently not madly-for 40-60 minutes till the split peas are tender - remember to stir it every so often otherwise it may stick to the bottom of the pan

Add more water towards the end if it is too thick for your liking

Now add the stock powder, ginger, lime zest and juice, and salt

Stir it in and top with your choice of coriander leaves, spring onions and/or chillies


Tips:


Nigella does not mention rinsing the split peas first; I didn't and was worried it was too cloudy but it turned out fine in the end so your choice to rinse or not to rinse

She also suggests adding the stock powder a bit at a time but I felt not only did it need all of the 2 teaspoonsful, I actually added another half spoon.  You may even want to add a bit more!

I used chicken stock powder though Miss N. suggests veggie




looking good and healthy   


into the pan -  looks like the Mexican flag :)     



grating the garlic straight into the pan  



yep looks kinda cloudy but it turns out fine       



nice and tender



grate in the zest   



toss on the coriander leaves   




my spring onion doodle




10 comments:

  1. I wouldn't have thought to put lime in this. Think I'll try, might be good for what ails me. I feel a cold coming on :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. colds are the thing of the seasonal change aren't they? they are going around. yes i think this soup would be perfect for a cold Jem!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. it is that lorraine. perhaps even slightly too much so for me!

      Delete
  3. This sounds rather refreshing for a mid-winter soup. I've never been a huge fan of pea soup, and then we made it with frozen peas once. I've never looked back. Sorry Nigella, but you can keep your split peas. (My sister in law would love this though!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do you make green pea and ham hock soup ? I like the yellow split peas but not fond of the green split peas.

      Delete
  4. I grew up eating a variation of this soup aka Dal, it delicious indeed. I have a couple of Nigella cookbooks, but not this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This latest book of hers is quite different. She is def on a health kick:)

      Delete
  5. Split peas are surely the 'go to' for a quick soup. I use it them regularly with pumpkin. I like all of these additions for an interesting twist. Yum! I'll make some of this when (if) autumn arrives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. split pea soup always feels incredibly healthy doesn't it?

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.