Saturday 29 October 2022

Blood Orange Vinegar

Blood oranges are still in season - just.  Though you can use pretty much any fruit or berry (or herb) you fancy to make this.  It's a very simple concoction, where you soak fruit in vinegar for a week or so, then strain and bottle.  I was inspired to make this when I saw an ad for a French passionfruit vinegar.  I can't buy it here, so it came to me that I could make it myself, but use blood oranges instead.

Blood orange season is short and sweet, so I've been using them while they're available.  I've also made raspberry vinegar in the past; such a glorious colour, as is this!  I was also inspired by a couple of recent blog posts with similar recipes - one from Angie's Recipes blog, and another by ...  Sorry, I can't remember whose blog, but I think it was for blueberry vinegar.  If it was you, please remind me, friends.   


so pretty, tangy and fruity


ingredients:

350 mL/12 oz vinegar - use a good quality white wine vinegar

4 blood oranges - use the peel of 3 blood oranges, and zest of 1

flesh of 2-3 blood oranges

the juice from 1-2 of the oranges

2-3 Tbs caster sugar


Method:

First scrub the fruit with a potato brush, then pat dry, and peel and zest away

Pour the vinegar into a small saucepan, and heat gently till just about boiled - when you see a bubble or two on the side, take it off the heat

Place all the fruity bits and pieces into a glass jar, pour over the hot vinegar, stir in the sugar, seal the jar and place in a dark spot for a week or even two

Shake every second day, till you're ready to finish it off

Then strain out the bits by tipping the mix into a sieve/strainer lined with a piece of muslin (don't squish the fruit through the muslin as it will go cloudy)

Leave it for an hour or two to finish straining, then pour/ladle into a sterilised jar or bottle

Best placed in the fridge where it will keep for up to six months

Use in vinaigrettes, or maybe even with sparkling water like a shrub drink 


Notes:

I've read recipes for this where they say to use room temperature vinegar, but you may then need to leave it to infuse for 2 weeks rather than one in order to get the full flavour out of the fruit

You can double the recipe if you feel the need for lots of the fruity stuff


ingredients gathered

start peeling and zesting

chopping up the flesh, and into the jar

ready for the hot vinegar

vinegar and fruit ready for steeping for a week

and a week later - ready for filtering

a muslin-lined sieve/strainer sitting over a large bowl

pour the vinegar into a jug, then decant into bottles

and end up with pretty bottles

love that colour!



C. Sherry M.

28 comments:

  1. It only wants me to be anonymous today! It's Judee from Gluten Free A-Z blog. First of all, I love your labels and this is such a great idea. We don't get a lot of blood oranges here but I do love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi judee
      yes hubby does a great job with the labels! Blood oranges are so wonderfully mysterious i always think.

      Delete
  2. This looks really good. I never see blood oranges to buy here though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was fun watching this being created, and wow, the colour and flavour that resulted was amazing. Well done Mrs P.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of using blood orange to infuse the vinegar. This would be fantastic for all sorts of winter salads. I am so happy that I have inspired you to make a batch :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes it worked a treat angie. beautiful colour and flavour.

      Delete
  5. What a genius idea! I should have a go with the berries which are so inexpensive and abundant at the markets here. I love the label too - so profesh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks sammie. it is so easy to do so definitely worth a go with whatever fruit you have to hand.

      Delete
  6. This looks great. In the U.S., they call this a shrub. Bernadette from newclassicrecipe.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi bernadette Yes i thought it's a bit like a shrub. i just did some reading and this is basically the start of a shrub. You infuse vinegar then reduce it down (with sugar) to a syrup!

      Delete
  7. Blood orange season? Interesting - they usually appear in our area around January-February! When I get my hands on some, I'm going to make this Infused vinegar because the idea sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes we get them over winter here. As we are now in spring, the season is ending.

      Delete
  8. I love orange vinegar, but I've never considered putting blood in it before. (Haha! I guess I'm getting excited about Halloween!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another great recipe S, love blood oranges 🍊 xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea! I've made herb vinegars but this sounds really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is wonderful! I wish I could buy some from you! Blood oranges don’t show up much where I live, and they’re never juicy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks mimi. we've had a good season of them here.

      Delete
  12. I love this idea - and blood orange would be so much fun because of the color. They won't be in season here for a few months, but I will definitely be making some once they are!

    ReplyDelete
  13. As soon as we have blood oranges here in California I will try to make this recipe. Gerlinde @sunnycovechef

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi gerlinde, yes it makes a pretty and appetising vinegar for salad dressings etc.

      Delete
  14. I've never made my own fruit-infused vinegar, but now I feel like I should give it a try. I love Angie's blog too, I came over to say hello from there :) Thanks for the detailed picture tutorial, I'm going to try this with blood oranges too! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi marcelle how lovely to see you here. Yes do try this; it's a great addition to the pantry.

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.