Saturday 15 October 2022

Braised Ginger Chicken

I think I've mentioned before that I'm in an online cookbook club called Lambs' Ears Cookbook Club.  Last month's book was Chinese-Ish by Rosheen Kaul and Joanna Hu.  I chose to make this dish - braised ginger chicken.  I'll be honest - Mr P. and I were not big fans of this one.  We ate it one night, but left heaps which I blinged up the next night.  

So this recipe is more my version of it, rather than straight out of the book.  And isn't that what cooking is all about?  Tweaking a recipe your way so you love it!?  As much as I appreciate the appellation contrôlée kinda foods, I think recipes should be your guide, not your master or mistress :=)

And speaking of ginger - Mr P. tells me of a time where his dad (who liked to brew his own) tried to make homemade ginger beer, but with glacé ginger rather than fresh (by mistake).  Yep, with all that sugar, it blew its stack and ended up all over the shed.  And that reminds me of the time I made homemade ginger beer, which literally exploded and blew out our dining room wall!  Oh, that Summer heat we have in old Brisbane town.  I must try to make it again in Winter :=)



ready for eating - with steamed veg.


Serves 4:

ingredients:

40-60 mL/1.3-2 oz sesame oil

6 cm piece (c. 80g./2.8 oz) old ginger, skin on if you wish, finely finely sliced and then each slice quartered (or not) - see Notes below

650g./23 oz chicken thigh fillets, chopped into large chunks

150g./5.3 oz mushrooms, roughly chopped (optional)

100g./3.5 oz baby corn, chopped (optional)

100g./3.5 oz red capsicum/pepper, roughly chopped (optional)

1 tsp sea salt

1 tsp caster sugar

1 tsp soy sauce

1-2 Tbs water

1 tsp Mirin or mirin seasoning, or dry Sherry

1 Tbs Chinese rice wine or dry Sherry 

chopped herbs of your choice - I used parsley, chives and fresh coriander (cilantro) 'cos that's what's usually in my pantry and fridge

steamed rice or egg noodles for serving


Method:

Heat up the sesame oil in a wok or large frypan over medium heat

Tip in the ginger and stir for several minutes till tender and fragrant

Add your chopped chicken and stir for 4-5 minutes till starting to brown and cook through

Now add the mushroom, corn and capsicum if using, and stir in the salt, sugar, soy, and water

Whack on a lid, and let it simmer for 7-8 minutes

Check that the chicken is cooked through, then stir in the Mirin and Chinese rice wine 

Cast the chopped herbs over the top, and serve with rice or noodles


Notes:

We preferred a lesser amount of sesame oil, so I used less

Apparently you can find old ginger at Asian food stores but obvs. you can use regular ginger like I did!  I first made this dish with the sliced, unpeeled ginger which we did not like (an unpleasant mouthfeel and taste), so I made it again with small pieces of peeled ginger, which was much better for us, but you do you

The recipe calls for 6-8 thigh fillets, cut in half, but we prefer smaller, bite-sized chunks

The optional veg. that I suggest are not in the original recipe, but Mr P. and I much preferred a bit less chicken and lots of veg.!  So add another 150 grams or so of chicken if you are not adding any (or much) veg.


ingredients gathered (plus a few steamed veg. for my original side dish)

slice and chop your ginger

stir-fry your chopped ginger

add the chopped chicken

looking juicy :=)

dinner is served!

and we had it again as a stir-fry with rice the next night


(Joining in with Marg from The Intrepid Reader and Baker for Weekend Cooking.)



ginger root

43 comments:

  1. That's lots of ginger for the recipe. Chicken thighs are my favourite and I would certainly enjoy these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we thought maybe a wee bit too much ginger?!:=)

      Delete
  2. This looks really good, Sherry. I'm a sucker for anything with ginger -- and this fits the bill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We liked it with the veg., jeanie. And for our tastes, it was better with the sliced and chopped ginger.

      Delete
  3. Love ginger in a recipe! It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a great dish Sherry 😋 thanks for the Sunday morning tales of kitchen and shed explosions haha lovely start to my day xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. With the sesame oil in there, I know this is good!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes we are huge fans of sesame oil! and we have no restraint :=)

      Delete
  6. I have only just found out about Lamb's Ear Cookbook Club today! I have joined and I have already requested next month's book from the library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi marg
      did you find out about the club from me or somewhere else?:=) I've ordered the book from the library too but i fear i may not get it in time.

      Delete
  7. I remember hearing about explosions with Ginger Beer making in Rockhampton when my Mum used to make it, however we didn't have any, miraculously. I'm sure the process has been refined now. Chinese food can be tricky, however I heard the other day, you can break the rules as long as it tastes good. I wonder why they said to use old ginger. Sounds like a good bookclub.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes you have to be careful with ginger beer, esp. in our warm climate. Yes i still wonder what exactly old ginger is?

      Delete
  8. I definitely use recipes as a guide and do not follow them exactly except when baking. "And that reminds me of the time I made homemade ginger beer, which literally exploded and blew out our dining room wall! " OMG! I'll buy my ginger beer already made from the store- thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes it was a huge and very loud explosion! We had to get the wall re-plastered.

      Delete
  9. Sounds great -- I'm a ginger fan.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks very good and I am also a fan of ginger.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's such a shame about the dish. I think I was sent that book but have yet to cook anything from it. So funny about the Brisbane heat and ginger beer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. just a personal preference i guess. other people seemed to like it but we just didn't like so much ginger in such big pieces. CHopping it smaller was great.

      Delete
  12. Love ginger but I always mince it so it's dispersed evenly throughout a dish. I would have to add some garlic - minced also :) Sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes good idea judi. we weren't fond of the big bits.

      Delete
  13. It looks delicious, Sherry, a proper dinner.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha ha! Loved reading about your home brewing attempts Sherry. I've had several Beer explosions in my time too. Nowadays I'm not much of a beer drinker. Love my Australian wine and have been all over the Yarra Valley in 2008 tasting it. Anyway, I do love your own version of this recipe. It's always best when you make it in your own way I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks neil. phew it was an experience. it was like a bomb going off literally which is what it was I guess.

      Delete
  15. I love recipes like this. Full of flavor & healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Agree with you....Recipes should be guides not "masters or mistresses." This Asian inspired dish looks delicious. There's a whole lot of ginger in that dish (smile). Ginger is incredible anti-oxidant too. I remember once a long time ago, biting into a piece of crystallized ginger thinking it was a candy (laugh). It would be years before I could eat ginger. Now, I love it.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes absolutely. i like to add glace ginger to my chutneys, which gives a delicious sweet, warm hit to it.

      Delete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Blew out the wall? Good think no one was nearby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure! It might have knocked us out rather than the wall :)

      Delete
  19. Blew out a wall with beer!? I want a post about that...with pictures, please! :-) I totally know what you mean about making a recipe that just doesn't quite hit the mark. We've done the stir-fry route with leftovers before, too. It's a great way to mix it up and make it more to your liking. Interesting recipe with all that ginger...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep it was amazing. we were watching tv in the lounge room and heard this almighty explosion! It took sooooo long to clean up the mess. Ginger beer went everywhere!

      Delete
  20. This had me wanting ginger chicken in Spain -- not an easy request! I like your changes - and I would probably coarsely grate the ginger instead - easier and I like the little tiny bursts of flavor, We will give this a try with your edits. Thanks for the footwork!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the ginger was definitely too much for us - in size and amount!

      Delete
  21. Some suggestions from one of my versions of ginger chicken: ginger finely chopped or grated (not as much as the recipe); use sesame oil as a flavouring towards end of cooking & veg or peanut oil for frying; marinade the chicken in mix (to personal taste) of oyster sauce, light soy sauce, mirin or chinese cooking wine, & my personal touch - some finely sliced preserved lemon peel adds piquancy; you may add bit of chilli if you fancy that; check for salt and sugar balance; may need to thicken gravy with cornflower slurry at end of cooking, and serve vegetables as a separate accompaniment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Preserved lemon? Sounds interesting but i wonder if it would go with ginger etc? I think I'd leave out the cornflour too - sorry :=)

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.