Wednesday 1 February 2023

In My Kitchen - February 2023

Okay I'll get the bad news over and done with first.  It's only February 1, and we've been to three funerals already.  I am kinda over this year already!!  Well, I say funerals but really two of them were wakes - which seems to be becoming the norm these days.  The family has a private cremation or burial, and then there's a knees-up to celebrate the life of your loved one.  Not a bad idea.

So I've been doing lots of cooking and baking this month.  I find it very therapeutic!  I managed to make a wonderful chocolate cake for Cookbook Club from Nagi Maehashi's cookbook Dinner.  It was so moist and chocolatey even though it only has cocoa rather than actual chocolate.  And I covered it in lots of sprinkles and pink flamingoes and chocolate shavings - the more the merrier, I say.  (On the blog soon.) 


In My Kitchen:


there was bio-dynamic garlic from Patrice Newell's farm 'Elmswood'

Our Tassie friend Madam P. was up here when the box arrived so she helped me divvy up the garlic bulbs into their respective cloves, for freezing.  It lasts for months!  This is called Purple Glamour Garlic, I believe.

 

a beautiful hand-carved spoon from Mr P.

I seem to have lost the artist's name - oops!  We bought it at a local craft market before Christmas (witness the Grinch cloth).  You all know how much I love a wooden spoon!  (I found the name!  It's by Di Page, and is made from black wattle.)


so gorgeous!  handmade from old blankets by CWA ladies

My cousin KT. sent me these lovely oven mitts, made by country ladies from old, woollen blankets.  I love them!  And they feel so comfy and secure when you use them.  Just like an old blanket :=)

a glorious Christmas gift from Princess Pia - Tenmoku tea cup

gifts from our Tassie friends Madam P. & Mr. W.

I love a tin mug, and spoons! The wee spoons were gifts

3 essentials - sardines, syrup and salt!

salad splash, and a bright orange bowl from Batch Ceramics

and homemade berry jam by moi!

I had some strawberries and blackberries (or was it raspberries?) in the freezer, so I made a quick jam for the lamington pikelets I was planning to make for the blog (post coming in Feb.)


and the curveball - mini-Ned by Christian Newton

Our mate Christian also goes by the name of Chainsaw Newton, as his work involves hacking up pieces of driftwood and salvaged timber into glorious artworks!  This is mini-Ned, carved out of found oregon wood.  Isn't he adorable?


Please join us for In My Kitchen, everybody.  We are a lovely, friendly community of like-minded foodie folks.  You are all welcome, whoever and wherever you are.  But please follow the 'rules', as benign as they are: we are looking for kitchen and kitchen garden items, with one curveball for whatever you like.  So, not really recipes as such, though feel free to stick in an occasional (short) one, but IMK is not so much for recipes, but for fun things happening in your kitchen over the last month.

But before signing off for this post, I am adding a photo of our dear friend Rob, who passed way too quickly, and way too young.  We are deeply saddened at his loss.


our dear friend Rob


Be a part of our friendly IMK community by adding your post too.  Here's how to join us:

Tell us about your kitchen (and kitchen garden) happenings over the past month.  Dishes you've cooked, preserves you've made, herbs and veg. in your garden, kitchen gadgets, and goings-on.  And a curveball is welcome - whatever you fancy; no need to be kitchen-related.  

The link is open from the first of the month to midnight on the thirteenth of the month, every month.

Options for adding your post to IMK:

1. Add via the Add Link button at the bottom of this post.  Instructions can be found on the sidebar of this page, under the Add your IMK link OR:

2. Comment on this post, providing a link to your post so I can add it manually to the list below OR:

3. Email me: sherrym1au@gmail.com, with your link or any queries about the link process, or if you would like it to be added after the 13th ('cos I'm happy to add it for you later)


use the logo (or not) as you please, my friends

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

48 comments:

  1. I’m very sorry to hear that you are mourning your lost friends, and so many so early in the year.

    Your kitchen novelties are very lovely. The repurposed blanket-oven mitt is especially nice. Everyone talks about the waste of fabrics that so pervades our throw-away society, so it’s good to see a counterexample.

    Thanks for hosting IMK, and good luck with no self-advertising trolls this month!

    best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes a tough year already Mae. Yep love that oven mitt! I got rid of two trolls already here!

      Delete
  2. I love reading all of the In My Kitchen posts. I may have to join in sometime soon. I made a batch of strawberry jam last night and it is so good. We also have lost 3 friends, much too young (50's) and pretty healthy since the beginning of the year. It's very sad and such a reminder to appreciate each and every moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Lori. Hoping to see you here soon. sorry about your friends!

      Delete
  3. It sucks that one had to attend 3 funerals in just one month. Again this month you have some gorgeous stuff. Those purple garlic bulbs are looking really great. Purple is new black :-))

    ReplyDelete
  4. 3 funerals. Oh my. That’s really terrible. Some people are dying very young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just awful and so sudden for one of them :=(

      Delete
  5. Sorry to hear of your friend’s passing. How lovely to remember him on your blog.

    Soup is our go to this season. Apple and butternut squash soup is on the menu this week. The apple is a lovely addition of freshness!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must get back into IMK as it's so fun reading about what you've bought. I love those colourful mugs and purple garlic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry for your losses. And what amazing things in your kitchen this month. Especially the spoons!
    from Tandy I Lavender and Lime https://tandysinclair.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sherry- you have so many lovely things this month to share. I especially love all your spoons! So sorry for you losses- so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Goodness - 3 funerals already? Hopefully we got all of those out of the way early in the year! In other news, that Purple Glamour Garlic looks gorgeous. And what a great idea to freeze the cloves - I've never thought about that. Oh, and hi, Ned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes we've definitely had enough funerals for a whole year! yep freezing the garlic works so well. it gets slightly less pungent in the freezer but still so handy.

      Delete
  10. What wonderful gifts and kitchen things. That garlic looks fabulous and I love your oven mitt. Can't wait to see your cake!

    I'm so sorry to hear your new year has started off on such a sad note. It's nice you can celebrate a life with others but it is sad one has the occasion to do so. Sending hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you jeanie. we are praying that the rest of the year gets much better.

      Delete
  11. So sorry for your losses - what a sad start to the year! Hope your kitchen capers have brought you some comfort. The jam looks especially delicious and how cute is little Ned?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes very sad start to the year. hoping that the rest of the year improves...

      Delete
  12. Sorry about the funerals, but at least there was cake and that cool driftwood sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry for your losses, Sherry. What a way to start the year...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Frank. It has certainly been a corker already :(

      Delete
  14. Everyday is precious isn't it? this is my birthday month, and now I think every birthday is a blessing, and what's in a number anyway?The garlic looks fabulous, and it really keeps well in the freezer? I really love the cosy ovenmitts too, what a great recycling idea. You have some very clever friends, Ned is amazing. The tin mug would be great for a camping trip.The jam looks delicious Sherry, why not use frozen berries, and much more economical than the fresh ones in our part of the world. Great post thanks Sherry, so sorry about the funerals , RIP Rob.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes every day is a blessing. yes it keeps well tho it loses a bit of pungency after a while in the freezer. I love Ned!! CHristian is such a clever fella. Just back from Rob's wake today. Feeling a bit blue...

      Delete
  15. I am so sorry Sherry for the loss of your friends. It's a reminder to live deliberately and value each day, we don't have an endless number to waste. Your spoons are lovely, and the bowls. I have never tried to freeze garlic. Do you peel the individual cloves or leave it on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes we do have to live each day as tho it were gold! I don't peel the cloves till i am using them. so they get chucked into a bag in the freezer and then i peel them when cooking. Tho i have seen it done either way, i think it's best to leave it skin on.

      Delete
  16. I am so sorry that this has been such a hard start to the year with the loss of your loved ones.

    I am waiting for that Dinner cookbook to come into the library. Feels like I have been waiting for an age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Marg. Yes it can take ages to get library books in! Nagi is so popular atm.

      Delete
  17. Three funerals this year so far? OMG Sherry. I'm so so sorry. We just got the news that my father in law has mouth cancer. But it is treatable so he'll go in for Chemotherapy from next week. Hopefully this year will get better for us all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Neil. I feel emotionally exhausted tbh. And i am very sorry to hear about your FIL. How awful for him and everyone. wishing you all the best.

      Delete
  18. So sorry for your loss. I agree that being in the kitchen is a comfort. Hope you're finding a lot there. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am so sorry for the loss of your friends. I am in Sydney Sherry and I just love it. There is so much to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks gerlinde. Yes sydney has much to see and do. Glad you are enjoying your time there. Coming to brisbane?

      Delete
  20. I am so sorry you have had so much loss this year. It never seems right or fair, does it? Really very sad. Rob looks like a wonderful man.

    Your kitchen, as ever, is filled with fun stuff. Wil, of course, pass on the garlic no matter how glamorous! :) But that spoon form Mr. P? Stunning! and the vintage oven mitt is beautiful - though I don't think I would ever use it! And your curveball again - such a fun little guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks david. what a year already! He was a wonderful family man and very committed to his community. Yep gotta love a mini-Ned!

      Delete
  21. Beautiful garlic - love the color! The tin man is adorable - reminded me of the Tin Man in The classic Wizard of Oz ")

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes it's pretty that garlic. Mini-Ned is so cute; he is a take-off of our Ned Kelly, a bushranger who was hanged back in the 19th century here in Aus.

      Delete
  22. Mi dispiace per il tuo amico. Un torta al cioccolato aiuta nei momenti di tristezza!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sorry to hear about all those funerals. Not a great way to start the year. Glad to see lots of fun in your kitchen - mini Ned is so cute and those spoons are wonderful. I love the colour of your Purple Glamour Garlic. And I want some of those oven mitts - they look so cosy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks johanna. i really love those oven mitts - so cute! and i love that they're recycled.

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.