Wednesday 16 August 2023

Crisp-Skin Roasted Salmon with Lentils

I love fish, which is good, as my GP tells me I should be eating it several times a week.  And I do, I do!  Probably four times a week - salmon, sardines, barramundi, tuna ...  But salmon is a definite fave in this house, though I usually bake it, rather than fry.  Frying and me - we are not friends :)  I love fried food, but my frying technique is sadly lacking.  It spits!  It burns!  It sizzles!  Hehehe ...

This is a recipe from Belinda Jeffery's book In Belinda's Kitchen, which was our July choice for Cookbook Club.  I love Belinda and her recipes.  I've been to several of her cooking classes, and had a ball (except for the time I sliced my finger open and had to lie down like a Disney princess on a bier).  Her recipes are easy to make, always work and are delicious.  I think I have every one of her cookbooks.  So many more recipes for me to try!


very tasty fishy dishy


Serves 4:

ingredients:

200g./7 oz lentils - use Puy or other small lentils  - see Notes

750 mL/25 oz water

sea salt flakes and black pepper

1-2 Tbs lemon juice

4 salmon fillets, skin-on, around 220g./7.8 oz (but don't fret about the size too much)

sea salt flakes, to rub into the skin

1.5-2 Tbs EV olive oil

1/2 large red capsicum, roasted and chopped finely - see Notes

1.5 Tbs parsley - curly or flat-leaf, finely chopped

2 wedges of preserved lemon, finely chopped


Dressing:

1 generous teaspoon of mustard - Belinda says Dijon; I say wholegrain

1/2 cup/125 mL/4.2 oz EV olive oil   - see Notes

1-1.5 Tbs vinegar - Belinda says red wine; I say use whatever you have - I used a mix of white wine, sherry vinegar and a dash of blueberry

sea salt flakes

And lemon slices, to serve


Method:

First tackle the lentils, by giving them a really, really good rinse under cold water (till the water is clear), making sure any bits of grit etc are discarded, and then drain through a fine sieve

Tip them into a medium saucepan, cover with the water, bring to a boil, then simmer for about 20 minutes till tender (or how you like them)

Drain them well, and add sea salt, black pepper and lemon juice

Make your dressing by putting the mustard and oil in a small-ish bowl, and whisking well   see Notes 

Then whisk in the vinegar and sea salt, add the lentils to the dressing, or vice versa - put aside while you cook the fish

On goes your oven to 250C/480F to heat up while you check the fish for any scales (which you rinse off if so)

Pat the fish really well so it's nice and dry, and rub the sea salt into the skin

If you have an oven-proof frypan/skillet, you can put it over a hot flame/burner, add the oil - get it hot, place the fish skin-side down and let it rip (i.e. sear it) for 2 minutes, then place the pan in the oven for 6-8 minutes (I baked mine for just 6 minutes)

If your frypan isn't ovenproof (like mine) transfer the fish after the first 2 minutes of searing onto a baking tray and bake for the 6-8 minutes

Now stir the capsicum, parsley and preserved lemon into the lentils; check for seasoning

Place a piece of fish onto a mound of lentils on each plate, and garnish with the lemon slices

Serve with salad or veggies, as you wish


Notes:

I used French-style green (Aussie) lentils 

Buy a jar of roasted capsicum is my advice, unless you want to spend time roasting a capsicum or 3!

We found the amount of oil in the dressing a bit much, so maybe use 1/3-1/2 cup

Belinda says to add the oil to the mustard slowly; I accidentally threw it all together and just whisked - it worked beautifully and easily!

I added seasoning, lemon juice and preserved lemons to the lentils as we found them kinda bland, so they are my little tweaks to the recipe



rinse your lentils well

ingredients gathered

such beautiful, silvery, shiny fishies :=)  Pat 'em dry well!

skin-side down and sear for 2 minutes

into the oven for 6-8 minutes

make the dressing

give it a good whisk till you get a lovely emulsion

ready for dressing

and ready to eat



c. Sherry M.

36 comments:

  1. Who doesn't love salmon!! I just had some too :-) Yours looks exceptionally good, Sherry. If you love fried food, get an airfryer :-) Not as good as frying in lard or tallow, but still good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salmon is just so good! I try not to fry anything Angie - gotta watch that waistline :)

      Delete
  2. Salmon is so good. Great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judee from Gluten Free A-Z Blog- I love the look of your lentils with the parsley and lemon. We always have pickled lemon since my husband loves it and buys it in = quantity from the Turkish market store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judee, I've not tried pickled lemon (I think) but I do love to make and eat preserved lemons. Esp. when our friends give us organic ones from their tree.

      Delete
  4. Salmon here is imported so it's not a fish I buy. Will have to give this a go when we are overseas.
    from Tandy I Lavender and Lime https://tandysinclair.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are lucky to have great fish here like salmon and barramundi!

      Delete
  5. Have always liked Belinda Jeffery's recipes and this one is easy to make but brims with both aster and health! For my money salmon has become such a favourite we somehow tend to forget the other denizens of the deep :) ! I If I cannot eat a fish raw, I love steaming Asian-style . . . methinks my favourites of the deep are eel, sardines and anchovies . . . but will cherish anything fresh . . . . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes she is great. I am trying to get to know other fish too, not just salmon. I love it sashimi-style!

      Delete
  6. I wish I ate more salmon, so thank you for this inspriation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like dish that is right up my alley. I love lentils and salmon. Gelinde de Broekert

    ReplyDelete
  8. A perfect meal for me. LOVE both salmon and lentils. And that creamy vegetable side is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We eat salmon about once a week so I am always on the lookout for a new salmon recipe. This sounds perfect! Thanks, Sherry!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm on a very big salmon kick of late and yesterday lucked out and found it for 6.99/pound (U.S. dollars) so I bought a lot. Now I have a new recipe to play with!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey there! 🐟 Your Crisp-Skin Roasted Salmon with Lentils is making my mouth water. I'm a huge fan of fish too, and your flavorful approach with lentils and that zesty dressing sounds incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am with you - salmon is the best! We have it at least twice a week along with our fish and seafood. However, I am not a fish skin eater. I don't know why the skin creeps me out! :) But I will definitely make this and love it with lentils. Is salmon and lentils a traditional pairing? We often serve them together but I am not sure why! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salmon and barramundi are my faves! I like to eat fish as it is so good for you so I have it a lot :) I love the skin when it is really really crispy - delish! This was the first time I'd eaten lentils with fish I have to say.

      Delete
  13. I love eating salmon-sometimes I'll eat it three times a week! I'm always looking for ways to cook it too so thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes i love a bit of fish for dinner or lunch ...

      Delete
  14. Wow, that looks like a restaurant-quality meal, Sherry! The mustard dressing sounds absolutely fantastic. We should eat lentils more often. We have some in the cupboard, but I rarely think about them. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sherry, you rocked it! Healthy and delicious for sure ( smile).

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love lentils and salmon flesh - no thanks to the skin even though it's healthy. No picture of your crispy salmon???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember if we ate it or i took the flesh off it :)

      Delete
  17. Crispy salmon skin is the best! Always a treat to make an already delicious salmon dish even better. :-) ~Valentina

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fish is good for you. We ate so much when I was working as our intern fished every weekend and brought us some fresh grouper, snapper, etc. In turn I made him bread. Great arrangement.

    I like your recipes here.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks fantastic, Sherry. I love the combination. And yes, that crispy skin is the best part!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.