Tuesday 8 August 2023

Orange Scones WIth Orange Glaze

It's winter, it's citrus time, it's time for orange scones.  And it's time for International Scone Week, hosted by the lovely Tandy from the blog Lavender and Lime.  She took over the mantle from Celia of Fig Jam & Lime Cordial.  This is where global cooks celebrate scones of every variety, once a year in August. 

I chose these orange scones from the book Magnolia Table by Joanna Gaines.  Yep, that one - she and her hubby Chip are builders, decorators and cafe owners in Waco, Texas.  Brrrrr, that gives me a shiver each time I say it.  That whole mass siege/shootout/killing thing years ago ...  I've read very mixed reviews of her cookbooks, but anyways, these were quite delicious.  And there are other recipes I'd like to try.  


deliciously citrus-y


Makes 12:

ingredients:

300g./10.5 oz plain flour

1.5 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp sea salt

1 large egg

180g./6.3 oz sour cream

110g./4 oz caster sugar or white sugar

1-2 tsp orange zest

180g./6.3 oz cold butter, cut into cubes  (unsalted if you wish)

Maple-Orange Glaze:

260g./9 oz icing sugar/powdered sugar

1-2 tsp orange zest

45g./1.5 oz butter, melted

3 Tbs fresh orange juice

1 tsp vanilla extract

1/2 tsp maple syrup


Method:

Heat your oven to 200C/390F

Line 2 baking trays with baking paper

Grab a large mixing bowl, and whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt

Now grab a small mixing bowl, whisk the egg, then add the sour cream and give it a good whisk with the egg

The sugar and orange zest go into another small bowl, where you will press the zest into the sugar with the back of a spoon till well-mixed together

Now stir this zesty sugar into the flour mixture, and add the diced butter, which you will rub into the flour and sugar with your nicely clean and cool fingertips (or use a pastry cutter like I did) - Joanna says till it is 'pebble-like'!

Now stir in the eggy mix to this flour mix, and form a dough - guess what!  my dough was sooooo wet that I had to add a fair bit of flour to my hands, so I could make a nice little dough

Cut the dough in half, sprinkle flour on your bench/work surface, and shape into a 15cm/6 inch round, about 2cm/¾ inch thick

Cut the dough into 6 wedges, and place on the baking tray about 2cm apart

Now do the same with the other half of the dough - see Notes

Bake till nicely golden, about 13-15 minutes then cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes before you place the rack over a tray, and pour/spoon your glaze over the tops of the scones

Which you have made by grabbing a medium mixing bowl, stirring the icing sugar and zest together, adding in the melted butter, orange juice, vanilla and maple syrup and whisking well

Eat on the same day if possible, not that that's a problem, but you can keep them for a couple of days in an airtight container


Notes:

Joanna says to freeze the butter, but it's not necessary - just chill it

Not sure why she suggests cutting the dough in half, then cutting into 6 wedges x 2.  I reckon you could just use a biscuit/cookie/scone cutter, or just cut the whole dough into 10 or 12 wedges, triangles, whatever

Also not sure why she calls it Maple Orange Glaze, as it only has a half teaspoon of maple syrup.  This makes a truckload of icing, but you won't regret it :=)


get whisking

stir the sugar and zest together

mix that butter into the flour

grab that pastry cutter ...

divvy up your dough

cut into wedges - or whatever shape you fancy

and bake at 200C for around 15 mins.

there was lots of icing!

oops!  Forgot to add this photo


44 comments:

  1. The scones look so lovely golden brown and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judee from Gluten Free A-Z Blog: Your scones look delicious but truthfully I've never really understood or gotten into scones. They seem so heavy. It must just be me!! Enjoy,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi judee yes i agree scones can be a bit hard and boring but it's all about the jam and cream for regular scones :)

      Delete
  3. I will try these! They look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for taking part. They sound perfect for winter.
    from Tandy I Lavender and Lime https://tandysinclair.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never had the nerve to make scones but these certainly are tempting, Bernadette, https://newclassicrecipe.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. scones are so easy and delicious; worth a go :)

      Delete
  6. I am not a fan of Joanna Gaines and will not buy her cookbook, but these do sound delicious. I will just bookmark your page and can make them during our winter.Right now it feels like we are living on Satan's front porch and the last thing I want to do is heat the oven to bake anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we are still in winter, tho our weather is blue skies and sunshine!

      Delete
  7. Love that zest and scone shape. Different from most 💛

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I absolutely love scones, and I haven't made any in a while. Clearly I need to make this citrus version. These sound fantastic, and I bet they would go well with a cup of tea at about 10am! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love citrus flavored pastries! I have this cookbook too and I don't think I have made anything - I believe she recently posted her second cookbook. Regardless of her recipes she has a cute family :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think she may even have written 3 books! They are certainly a busy lot!

      Delete
  10. This looks terrific, Sherry. I saved this one -- I love a good scone and the orange sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sherry - I absolutely LOVE scones. It's my weakness! BUT I have never had an orange scone - can you believe it? So, thank you for your recipe. I will most definitely be giving it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we enjoyed these Min. A bit different from the average scone.

      Delete
  12. These look delicious Sherry, and citrus is definitely one of the themes this Winter, along with ginger of course. I've never iced or glazed
    scones, but why not, they look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice scones packed with the orange flavour! I particularly like the orange maple glaze, but I would also add a bit of triple sec because why not?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice scones packed with the orange flavour! I particularly like the orange maple glaze, but I would also add a bit of triple sec because why not?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. My dad is a fan of scones, and lemon-y scones sounds delightful. And, oh yes, Chip and Joanna are legends here in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well it's summer time where I am but these still look lovely. I especially like the maple glaze..

    ReplyDelete
  17. You know Sherry, I love orange flavor a lot and have used it in cakes, muffins, brownies, rice, almost everything but never in a scone. Now putting it on my ‘must make asap’ list. Thanks for the recipe. They look delightful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's great Balvinder. They were pretty delish!

      Delete
  18. I really marvel over the way that, when you think of the word "August," the first thing you probably do is shiver, while to me it is synonymous with sunny days at the beach! I can't imagine thinking good thoughts about the word "February." Instead, it fills me with instant dread with thoughts of bitter cold and darkness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes always a bit odd to think of the difference in weather:) I was watching a YouTuber the other night and he mentioned it being summer - he was actually talking about here in Aus. where it is winter of course. He didn't even correct himself at all!

      Delete
  19. Oh my gosh, these look so yummy! I love her show I didn't realise she has cookbooks, plural. I love eating scones but am not that great at making them. I really needed lick-a-vision for this post! Nom nom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Sammie. They are that little bit different - a bit more cake-y than the average scone but very tasty indeed!

      Delete
  20. Scones flavoured with orange is a new one on me. I'm quite intrigued now. And I love the idea of them being made with sour cream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes they were quite cake-like really - and delicious!

      Delete
  21. International Scone Week is such a fun idea! And your pick from Joanna Gaines' Magnolia Table cookbook seems to be a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the orange glaze - I must try these! And happy Scone Week to you!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.