Tuesday 9 April 2024

Caramelised Onion And Garlic Jam

We don't eat a lot of sweet jam in this house, but luckily for us, we have a Tassie friend who brings us her homemade cumquat marmalade every winter, which is great on toast, or in bread and butter puddings.  (I made a pudding the other night with leftover Hot Cross buns and Easter eggs and her marmalade!)  We do love a savoury jam though, and this one goes down a treat.  

I hunted up the 'Net for a recipe and found one by CSR (The Colonial Sugar Refinery), which was a big sugar-producing company here in Queensland (now owned by a Singaporean company).  Oddly to my mind, they are also a construction company!  Something to do with them making their own sugar mills, it seems.

And speaking of sugar mills ... there are sugarcane farms and a sugar mill just over the Queensland border in Northern Rivers.  I love watching the pure white smoke come out of the stack when they are processing the sugar.  And when they are burning the cane before harvest, the fires are huge and bright and burn into the night.  Very magical! though not very environmentally sound.  In fact, most Queensland sugarcane is harvested "green" (i.e. without burning), while New South Wales still burns the crops first.  I do like the fires I have to admit :=)

   

image Wikimedia Commons (author: Rob & Stephanie Levy)

They burn at dusk, when the winds have dropped.  The fires get rid of vermin, and the debris from the canes.  It is always a magnificent sight with flaming fields burning into the night.

   

delicious onion and garlic jam   (bronze kingfisher by Dion Parker)


Makes 2 smallish jars:

ingredients:

1.5 Tbs EV olive oil

3 large red onions, finely sliced

3-4 garlic cloves, crushed or finely sliced

65g./2.3 oz dark brown sugar

250 mL/1 cup red wine vinegar  (I used my homemade blood orange vinegar)

1 Tbs yellow mustard seeds

2 bay leaves

1.5 tsp sea salt flakes

1/2 dozen grinds black pepper

1 tsp smoked paprika

a wee bit of cold water if needed


Method:

Grab a large and deep frying pan, and throw in the oil and onions over a low heat

Cook for about 15 minutes till tender and just turning colour, stirring now and then

Add the garlic, stirring for 3 minutes

Stir 1 Tbs of the sugar over the mixture for 1 minute, till it starts to bubble 

Now turn the heat up to medium, and add the vinegar, mustard seeds, bay leaves, salt, pepper, paprika and the rest of the sugar; let it cook for a couple of minutes then - 

Reduce the heat to medium-low to low, and let it simmer away for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, till you have a thick and luscious jammy mixture  (add a splash of water if it's starting to go too thick)

Take out the bay leaves, and spoon into hot, sterilised jars

Makes 2 smallish jars


Notes:

I halved their recipe, except for the garlic and bay leaves, so double this recipe if you want to make a full amount


ingredients gathered

stir that onion and garlic

and stir some more till jammy and fragrant

et voilà!   (figurine by Denise Murray)


(Joining up with Min from Write of the Middle blog - for the #WWWhimsy post.)


c. Sherry M.


48 comments:

  1. This sounds wonderful. I will have to try this. I'm also wanting to try making bacon jam and tomato jam. I would use them a lot also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Lori. Oh yes bacon jam would be marvellous. I have a fabulous bacon whiskey jam recipe ...

      Delete
    2. Oh please do share sometime!!

      Delete
    3. I will hunt up the recipe Lori.

      Delete
  2. Look so good and I have a huge bag of red onions…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just double the recipe :=)

      Delete
  3. I love onion jam but it usually has garlic, so I rarely get to try it when it arrives on charcuterie boards. But now, with your recipe, I can remedy that! Looks spectacular. (The fires would scare the bejesus out of me.) David — C&L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes just leave out the garlic David! Try adding a bit of bacon and whiskey!

      Delete
  4. Definitely a winner for us we love garlic and onions. Interesting way to harvest the sugarcane...I had absolutely no idea that you could harvest produce by burning them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's an odd concept - to burn the harvest first :)

      Delete
  5. Your onion jam looks delicious Sherry, I always enjoy it when I eat it. I can resonate with what you are saying about the sugar cane. We live in the middle of sugar cane country, besides coal mining our economy depends on it. We always know when the harvest is on, and have both fires and green cutting of the cane here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pauline. I didn't realise that they can do it both ways - with or without burning ...

      Delete
  6. Yes please to the jam. And no thank you to cane rats.
    Tandy | Lavender and Lime https://tandysinclair.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehehe. Yep I can do without the rats too :)

      Delete
  7. Wow - that would be one heck of a sight to see those fields burning. And I bet the smell would be amazing! I love the sound of this savory jam, and I bet it would be great with some bacon crumbled into it. (I know you don't do bacon, Sherry - sorry!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think bacon would be great in this David. I have had the occasional bacon-y nibble over the last few years. I love the taste but i can't bear to think of the wee pigs dying (who apparently have the brains of a 3 year old child).

      Delete
  8. Mmmm this sounds so lovely! I make a caramelized confit that is similar, but not really jammy. This is a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds wonderful, I bet it would be delicious on a grilled cheese sandwich! I am saving it, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sherry, I think savory jams are divine. They are delicious too, on a charcuterie board with delicious cheeses and meats. Onion and garlic is really nice pairing.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes nothing better than frying up onion and garlic and having it waft thru the house!

      Delete
  11. I love onion jam. I remember there was a time where everyone was obsessed with making it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there's a particular brand of onion jam i love to buy but it's a unicorn and very hard to find! So I have to make my own :)

      Delete
  12. Hi Sherry, my grandparents lived in Murwillumbah so I know all about the burning cane fields, such a sight!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds like my kind of jam! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeff. It went down well - and quickly - in this house :)

      Delete
  14. Your onion jam sounds delicious Sherry - nom nom 😋

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Anon. Is this you Big M? :=)

      Delete
  15. Onion jam sounds like a winner all around. We like pepper jam but in fact it’s very sweet (peppers are in fact a fruit). I can’t tell how sweet your jam would be — my understanding of sugar is by volume not weight. But it also sounds pretty sweet. I may just have to try this!

    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's pretty darn good Mae. I've made a capsicum relish but not a jam. Nope this is not very sweet; 65 grams is only 4 U.S. tablespoons, so not a lot for 3 onions and some garlic. Cheers.

      Delete
  16. I'd love to try onion jam. I'm a fan of onions, and putting onions in a jam sounds delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks beyond delicious. What a great appetizer it would make!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I never think of jam as being savory, Sherry. Maybe it's a US thing to always have sweet jam...or maybe it's just the way I was raised. I need to look closer at the jam shelf next time I go to the store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think savoury jams are a very popular thing here Christie. It's just a thicker relish really :=)

      Delete
  19. I love this sort of thing - and this recipe sounds right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Sherry, I've watched canefields burning as my sister-in-law's parents owned a cane farm near Proserpine and we stayed there a few times. That looks like a great jam recipe too! Reminds me of my mother-in-law who was always making jam and keeping us supplied. We miss that! Thanks for linking up with #WWWhimsy - have a wonderful weekend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can imagine this jam being a wonderful addition to cheese boards, sandwiches, or even as a glaze for meats.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.