Monday 1 April 2024

In My Kitchen - April 2024

I hope you had/are having a wonderful chocolate and family-filled Easter, my friends.  I think I've eaten my body weight in chocolate and sweets!  So I've been walking it off each day, tramping up the hilly road near us, wielding my trusty umbrella.  As usual, we've been 'enjoying' a wet Easter.  It's also school hols here in Queensland, and everybody heads off to go camping, even though they get damp and soggy :=)  

Also every Easter you can take yourself to the Byron Bay Bluesfest, a massively popular music festival (always a mudfest).  Our dear friend Rob (owner and player of many guitars) who died last January, usually attended with his son, so I've been thinking of him and his family over the break.  Hard to believe it has been over a year since he died.  We were fortunate enough to spend a few hours with him on his last day, keeping vigil.

Some people have asked me about the talk I gave to our local Historical Society late last year.  (Mr P. is now the President and I am the co-archivist.  Not sure how that happened ...)  So here is the link for those who would like to watch it on YouTube: 

Hist. Society Talk

  

In My Kitchen:



I strained and bottled the raspberry vinegar

I bought more Japanese goodies from Genki Mart - matcha, matcha!

I made a 3 egg omelette for our 92 year old neighbour - 'cos protein!

I bought a Japanese hand-carved wooden spoon. Yep, naturally I need more spoons!

of course I made more pickled cukes!  Probably the last till Spring

and I bought Mr P. a biiiiig smash Easter egg; cannot resist 100s & 1000s!

and for myself these fab Koko Black choc bites

this was a Christmas gift from the cuz

and this is an early birthday gift from our Tassie friends for Mr P.

more gifts from our Tassie friends

here are those 1960s orange enamel dishes I mentioned recently

and the curveball ...

I've started painting the bottom storey of our house.  Our painter has done the top storey (very slowly), so I decided enough was enough, and got out the brushes and roller.  Half a wall done, and three and a half left!!  Mr P. did the top bricks, and helped with the cutting-in, but I've done the majority of it.  So much cutting-in to go ...



c. Sherry M.


Be a part of our friendly IMK community by adding your post here too - everybody welcome!  We'd love to have you visit.  Tell us about your kitchen (and kitchen garden) happenings over the past month.  Dishes you've cooked, preserves you've made, herbs and veg. in your garden, kitchen gadgets, and goings-on.  And one curveball is welcome - whatever you fancy; no need to be kitchen-related.  

The link is open from the first of the month to midnight on the thirteenth of the month, every month.

Options for adding your post to IMK:

1. Add via the Add Link button at the bottom of this post.  Instructions can be found on the sidebar of this page, under the Add your IMK link OR:

2. Comment on this post, providing a link to your post so I can add it manually to the list below OR:

3. Email me: sherrym1au@gmail.com, with your link or any queries about the link process, or if you would like it to be added after the 13th ('cos I'm happy to add it for you later)

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

40 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a lovely month. I love the Easter egg, but I love sprinkles. lol Everything here is blooming and budding and smells so fresh. I worked outside yesterday getting my rosemary and thyme all repotted. I will be planting all of the other herbs and veggies in the next couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to get your herbs and veg. on the go.

      Delete
  2. Tasmania must be very multi-cultural. Dukkah originates in the Middle East and maple syrup is from trees that are native to North America. Interesting.

    When we were in Australia we heard about the Easter Bilby -- a native creature that brings the Easter eggs instead of the introduced and very damaging rabbit. Did he bring your eggs? I hope you are having a happy easter.
    Thanks for hosting all our kitchen thoughts once again.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep that's right - the easter bilby brings the eggs :=)

      Delete
  3. I LOVE those enamel dishes :-))) it has rained a lot over here too, but at least it's getting warmer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them too. I have many enamel items in my kitchen. Autumn is coming at last so slightly cooler.

      Delete
  4. Happy Easter! (Though I know it’s already passed for you…) It is sweet that you are keeping Rob and his family in your thoughts…

    I need to check out that Jamie Oliver book — I love 5-ingredient recipes. And I love the vintage bakeware. Orange is underrated.

    Good job on the house painting. It’s a lot of work…

    David (C&L)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes nothing better than bright orange baking dishes:)

      Delete
  5. Hi Sherry, Thanks for hosting and having us over. My entry this month #2. Feel free to join SSPS Linkup M-S, find link under blogging

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun stuff! I have some barrel aged maple syrup and it is so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to getting stuck into the maple syrup!

      Delete
  7. Happy Easter ! I always feel like I need to get out and walk after indulging! I think it helps. Looks like lots of fun stuff this month. I love maple syrup . I bought some Sukkah a year ago and don't think I ever used it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judee. I like to throw a bit of dukkah in lots of dishes :)

      Delete
  8. I’m painting the interior of our home. But I have a foam roller that has a hollow for the paint which makes it easier. Your home is looking good! I read the omelette as being 3kg first (don't ask) and wondered why so large haha. Hope that Easter egg lived up to its look.
    Tandy | Lavender and Lime https://tandysinclair.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the bricks soak up the paint very quickly. THanks, we are loving the new colour. A 3 kg omelette? That would take some eating. Yep the easter egg was a winner.

      Delete
  9. That's exciting about the history society talk and your involvement, Sherry. Your house is looking great and I love those orange casserole dishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeanie. It was fun to see the video of the talk; people said it was fine but you never know ... Yep those orange dishes are great fun.

      Delete
  10. You've done a bang up job of the painting! Look at you go! Everything looks so delish - those hot cross bun bites have my name all over them. And I'm swooing over the orange enamel, it's divine! Hope things dry up for you soon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sammie. I was pretty pleased with it. Still warm here and lots of showers; the grass just keeps on growing ...

      Delete
  11. I need a Genki mart that I can raid in Paris, I miss Japanese things! They do have a few Japanese stores here but none of them are near me sadly. You are doing an impressive job with your house, looks so professional!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just can't resist a Japanese grocery store! Thanks re the house painting. It's very satisfying.

      Delete
  12. A very yummy looking month indeed ... I LOVE those vintage enamel tins.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love those tins! How cheerful. The cucumbers look good too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's heartwarming to hear about the omelette you made for your 92-year-old neighbor—such a thoughtful gesture!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You always find the coolest stuff! Good luck painting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your orange enamel dishes would be fun to cook with Sherry. Can you really have too many dishes to play with, I think not. Painting can be very therapeutic don't you think? Very wet here today, and I have a head cold, yuk, so catching up on stuff. Take care my Queensland friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you feel better soon Pauline. Can't believe how wet it is down south! And weirdly here in Brisbane we've had very little rain this week. Well, on the northside anyways...

      Delete
  17. Those Easter Egg Bites sound intriguing!

    I borrowed that Jamie Oliver book from the library, and then cooked several recipes out of it so I bought it....and haven't looked at it since. Hopefully soon

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. those hot cross bites were the bomb:) I'm not a huge fan of Jamie Oliver tho he does have some great recipes. And I love his tv shows. Yes have a fab April.

      Delete
  18. Those hot cross bites sound intriguing. Everything has gone to dark chocolate but I still prefer milk. It was kind of you to cook for your neighbor, a delicous looking omelet. Let us know how you like the Jamie Oliver cookbook, I have several of his but must admit I haven't cooked from them much...more inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in general a dark choc kinda gal! I think protein is good for old bones :) Truth to tell i have given that cookbook to a friend...

      Delete
  19. I've been a little delayed as we've been on school holiday here, too. But now we're back at it! I love that you made your own raspberry vinegar. I've never even thought about making a homemade version - you inspire me, Sherry! And the painting looks good so far. Keep at it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much David. I've had a break from the painting but will get back to it this weekend.

      Delete
  20. From Johanna @ https://gggiraffe.blogspot.com/
    That raspberry vinegar is such a gorgeous colour and such a delicious condiment to have around the house. The orange enamel dishes are beautiful too. Love the 100s and 1000s easter egg - hope it did have Mr P's favourite lollies in there :-) Maple syrup whisky looks amazing. And kudos to you for getting the house painted. These maintenance tasks always come around so quickly but look so neat and new when done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Johanna. I used lots of fresh raspberries so it's very fruity:) So much painting still to do ...

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.