Thursday, 23 July 2026

The Crustless One - with Potato, Egg & Cheese

Do you like Persian (Iranian) or Italian food, my friends?  I love Persian food!  Here we have a recipe from Pomegranates & Artichokes, a fascinating collection of recipes by Saghar Setareh.  Her book encompasses recipes and her memories on her journey from Iran to Italy.  She moved to Italy at the age of 22, leaving her parents and family behind.  A brave move at that age, I think.  I moved interstate at 19, and to Brisbane on my own, so I have a vague idea of how that feels.   
 
I originally made this one waaaay back in September 2023! for cookbook club.  And then again this April.  We have Persian (Iranian) friends, so their food has become a fave of ours.  Though this one is actually an Italian one - her version of a torta rustica, a savoury pie.  So, no crust - just a hearty potatoey mash with eggs and cheese.  Delicious indeed!  And so comforting.  And you get protein!  



delicious!


Serves 4-6:

ingredients:

1 kg./2.2 lbs potatoes

100g./3.5 oz parmesan or pecorino cheese, grated

2 Tbs parsley, finely chopped

1/2 tsp sea salt flakes

some black pepper  (to your taste)

40g./1.4 oz butter, softened (at room temp. basically)

2 Tbs breadcrumbs (I use panko, but use whatever you prefer)

4 hard-boiled eggs, cut in half lengthwise  (peeled obvs.!)

100-150g./3.5-5.3 oz spicy salami, diced   see Notes!

100g./3.5 oz cheddar cheese, diced   see Notes

a handful of chopped parsley on top


yep, potatoes!


Method:

Add the unpeeled spuds (potatoes) to a large saucepan with cold water to cover them

Boil till tender, drain and leave to cool

Turn on your oven to 180C/350F to heat up, while you peel and mash the spuds

Add the cheese, salt and pepper, and mix in gently

Grease the bottom and sides of your (20-22cm/8-8.5 inch) pie dish with half the butter, and dust with half the breadcrumbs

Now half the mash gets spread over the bottom of the dish, then you make 8 divots in the mash so you have room for your eggs

Season the eggs with salt and pepper, and place cutside down in your wee holes

Scatter over the cheese and salami (or tuna, etc) and give the eggs a gentle push into the mash

On goes the rest of the mash, with a spoon or your hands :=)

Then the panko gets scattered over the whole shebang, and you put dabs of the remaining butter over it all

Add some chopped parsley if you fancy, then ... 

Bake for 20 minutes, then under the grill for 10, and let it cool in the dish for 30 minutes

Slice it up, and serve with a salad or steamed veg. - a bit of tomato relish goes down well with it too!


and parsley


Notes:

No salami eaten in this house (we don't eat pigs), so I used 95g. tin of tuna in oil, 2 Tbs baby capers and some roasted red capsicum

You can use provolone or fontina cheese instead of cheddar, says the author

Looking at my photo from this April, I seem to have thrown some parsley into the filling also, and perhaps even some pre-cooked mushroom or pumpkin?  Not sure!  But really, you can add what you like, or have in the fridge.


I love panko!


boil those eggs, and the potatoes

dust your pie tin with half the butter and half the breadcrumbs

spread the mash over the bottom of the pie dish

smoosh those eggs into the mash!

cheesy!

pop into the oven at 180C/350F

this is before the mash goes on top of course :)

and baked!

add a bit of salad to your plate


We haven't been to Iran, but we visited Italy years ago.  Only to Rome, so maybe one day we will get to the Uffizi in Florence, and the canals in Venice.  We were gobsmacked at the Vatican, and amazed by the history and architecture in Rome.  Oh yes, how about Tuscany?  One day ...



24 comments:

  1. I, too, love Persian food, Sherry. Hard to find in many cities. My love came from managing a Persian carpet store, where I had to travel to NY City to buy carpets. In the carpet district, there were quite a few excellent Persian restaurants. The one thing I don't have a taste for is doogh -- do you like it? This dish reminds me a lot of Italian frittatas, and I love your adaptation with the tuna and capers. Thanks! Hope to make this soon (your way!). ~ David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow you have done a lot of amazing things David. Don't know doogh...

      Delete
  2. Looks nice but my husband won't eat eggs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I love eggs and eat heaps. Such protein-packed beauties:)

      Delete
  3. Persian food is wonderful. Did you make any Persian dishes from her cookbook? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember... I bought this book a few years ago now. I might have for cookbook club!

      Delete
  4. I adore Persian food. I thought crustless would be much less carbs, but this is loaded with carbs :-) Delicious all the same!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. Our friend makes such great food. Yep carbs galore for sure and delicious!

      Delete
  5. This looks so hearty. And I like how you said the eggs need to be peeled. Italy is my favourite travel destination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes i thought it was funny in the recipe when she said to peel 'em!

      Delete
  6. That’s an interesting recipe. Especially since I’m sitting in a German train on the way to see my brother, and there is no food. I’m hungry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a fun trip. Hope you get some food soon:).

      Delete
  7. I'm not sure I've had much Persian food, but I do love (!!) Italian food. The intersection of these two cuisines must be interesting - this recipe sounds delicious! And you must (MUST) go back to Italy. Florence is incredible. So is Venice. We went truffle hunting outside of Florence - those are lifetime memories right there!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Longhaul flying is not my fave :) 24 hours to get to Europe from here... Truffle hunting? Fab.

      Delete
  8. Oh my! This recipe has inspired me to try something similar. I've been uninspired lately...so, thank you, Sherry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh this looks delicious and right up my eat street! I love the idea of swapping out the salami for tuna - giving this delicious dish another dose of protein. Will definitely come back to this post when our weather cools down a bit :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Sammie. It is very comforting on a cold night. Yep tuna was a good choice.

      Delete
  10. This looks like a perfect meal to me Sherry! The pie looks rustic and flavorful, I love the addition of whole boiled eggs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Marcelle. It is a comforting and hearty dish. I love eggs!

      Delete
  11. Sherry, this crustless torta is exactly the kind of cosy, potato‑loaded comfort dish I’d happily eat on a cold night those little egg divots cracked me up, and the tuna‑capers swap actually sounds even better than salami to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was certainly cosy! Yep we don't eat salami so tuna was a winner.

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.