Sunday, 16 August 2026

Cheese and Onion Scones #ISW2026

And here is my second bake for International Scone Week!  A savoury one this time.  And I have to say, this one went down a treat with hubby and friends.  These lasted a bare 24 hours!  Mr P. suggests using even more herbs, pepper and chilli flakes, and he's not wrong :=)  

This recipe is from our dear friend's Auntie Patty, who died recently.  Our friend kindly handed on some of her handwritten recipes on yellow card, in her very wonderful and clear handwriting.  Auntie Patty only gave cayenne as an optional extra, with no other herbs or spices.  I boosted the flavour a bit, and as I said above, Mr P. said more is more :)

I was a bit worried about adding raw onion here, but it was a fabulous addition.  Make sure you chop it finely, of course.  I used one French shallot, and some red onion but once again, go with what you like.  These are really fabulous scones.  Thanks Auntie Patty!  



cheesy!  why not spread some (alot) butter in the middle? :=)



Makes 16-18:

ingredients:

375g./(3 cups) plain flour    see Notes

5 tsp baking powder

a big pinch of sea salt flakes

1/4 tsp chilli flakes (optional)

about ten grinds of black pepper  (or more, to your taste)

1-2 tsp dried parsley and/or your fave herb  (I like chives, too!)

50g./1.8 oz cold butter, diced

1 small-ish red onion or 2-3 French shallots, finely diced

185g. (1.5 cups) vintage/mature cheddar cheese, grated

310 mL (1.25 cups) milk

extra milk, for glazing the tops of the scones



the more the merrier, says Mr P.



Method:

Turn on your oven to 180C/350F to heat up

Grab a baking tray and throw on some baking paper

In a large mixing bowl, whisk the dry ingredients (including salt, pepper and herbs) together

Then rub in the diced butter with your fingers, till you get sandy crumbs

Now put half the onion, and one cup of the grated cheese into the bowl, and fold them in

Make a well in the centre of the dough, and splosh all the milk in!  Yep I know it sounds a bit mad, but it works

Mix it all in well, but try not to go too crazy as you don't want to activate the gluten too much (or at all)

Form the dough into a ball in the bowl (if you can), then slap the dough onto a floured surface, and shape and flatten it to a rectangle, about 1.5 cm high, and approx. 24 cm x 20 cm (you might need to throw a bit more flour onto it, as it is most likely going to be sticky!)

Cut it into 16 (or 18) squares, place them on the lined tray, and brush the tops with the extra milk

And add the rest of the onion and the cheese on the tops

Bake for around 15-20 minutes, till golden

Delicious both warm or room temp., with lots of butter in the middle



yep, shallots



Notes:

I am using Auntie Patty's measurements in her recipe verbatim (for the ingredients list anyway) - one Aussie cup of flour is normally 150g./5.3 oz but we will stick to her measurements!

I think your rectangle will be about 9.5 inches by 8 inches, for those non-metric fellas


full-cream milk



get those ingredients together 

and grate that cheese!

kinda sticky, once you add the cheese

and now add the rest of the cheese on top

and don't forget the extra onion!

golden and smelling so good

half of them gone already :=)

butter makes everything better, of course



so neat!



Here is another post for International Scone Week hosted by Tandy of Lavender and Lime blog.  We have been doing this every August for years, my friends.  #ISW2026 goes from the 10th to the 16th; everybody welcome!



3 comments:

  1. I have to admit I'm not the biggest fan of scones generally speaking, but with these with their little savory bits they. might well tickle my fancy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to try this! I make cheese scones occasionally, but adding onion would be interesting.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.