Sunday, 23 August 2026

Almond Pound Cake with Maple-Roasted Apricots

I remember years ago when I lived with other students in a share house that one of the lads would throw together a pound cake most weekends.  He wasn't really into measurements so would just chuck what he thought was the right amount into the bowl - and he was pretty good at it!  A pound cake is just equal amounts of butter, sugar, flour and eggs, so pretty easy to get right, I reckon.

This brilliant fella also taught me how to fillet fish, and make bread - and then he went off to England to get his PhD.  Told you he was clever!  Anyways, I made this cake for our cookbook club hosted by Amanda from Lambs Ears and Honey, using this recipe from Emelia Jackson's beaut book You Had Me at Cake.  "So many cakes, so little time" - to paraphrase that famous rockstar ...  



  
the texture is delightful, said Mr P., the smooth talker :)



Makes 1 x 20cm./8 inch cake:

ingredients for the cake:

190g./6.75 oz almond meal (or nut meal of your choice)

140g./5 oz plain flour

2.5 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp sea salt flakes

225g./8 oz butter, softened (at room temp. basically), cubed

225g./8 oz caster sugar

4 large eggs

1.5 tsp vanilla paste or extract

180 mL/6 oz milk or buttermilk  see Notes

Crème frâiche, or thick cream, to serve with big slices of cake :=)

Maple-roasted apricots (or fruit of your choice):

6-8 ripe apricots, halved and pitted   see Notes

2 Tbs maple syrup or honey

1 Tbs brown sugar

1 tsp vanilla extract

1 Tbs butter  (Emelia says to melt it first, but why?  It's going into the oven!  So just dice it, I say)


apricots



Method:

Turn on your oven to 180C/350F to heat up, and line a 20cm/8 in cake tin with baking paper (or use an air fryer liner like I do!)

Grab a large mixing bowl, and whisk together the nut meal, the flour, the baking powder and salt with either your electric hand beaters or a stand mixer if you have one (I don't, so I use my hand beaters)

Then add the softened, cubed butter till you have a sandy mixture with no large lumps of butter - I didn't worry too much; I still had small lumps and it turned out just fine!

Now add the sugar, eggs, vanilla and (butter) milk, and mix till combined (but don't go crazy! - no gluten wanted here, my friends) 

Pour the batter into the tin (never mind if it's a wee bit lumpy), and bake for 45-50 minutes till golden and a skewer pushed into its almond-y heart comes out clean

And as for the apricots: about 15 minutes before the cake is due to come out of the oven, grab yourself a small-ish baking dish, chuck in the fruity ingredients, giving it a good mix together, and place in the oven till the cake finishes baking

Take the cake and fruit out of the oven when they're ready, let the cake cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning it out onto a a wire rack to cool completely

Serve a big slice with some of the syrupy fruit (fruity syrup?) and a dollop of cream, crème frâiche or plain yoghurt


one guess :=)


Notes:

As per, I didn't have any buttermilk lurking around, so I squeezed a small lemon to get juice (prob. 2 Tbs), which I stirred into the milk, and left to get thick and curdled-looking

Nor did I have any fresh apricots, 'cos it's winter here!  So I grabbed a 700g. jar of Australian apricots in juice (which juice?  A mystery, my friends); also no nett weight on the jar - grrrrrr!  Anyways, I weighed out 270g./9.5 oz of the fruit, as Mr Google says the average weight of an apricot (with the pit) is 35g.-50g.  Hoping that this was a suitable conversion; and yep, it worked out okay, but you could go for extra apricots, I reckon
I'm gonna have to buy some more of this very soon!



ingredients gathered

sandy with a few wee lumpy bits :=) - no worries!

in go the wet ingredients

looking glorious as it goes into the air fryer paper-lined tin!

fruit etc going into my fave '60s enamel dish, with my cute new Japanese spoon)

cake done, syrup done!

looking so pretty

everyone loved this cake - great flavour and texture


Our neighbour came over for a piece after work.  She said it was a fabulous cake, and asked for the recipe.  Always a good sign :=)  And it still tastes great after 2 days!



texture still gorgeous after 2 days




No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.