This brilliant fella also taught me how to fillet fish, and make bread - and then he went off to England to get his PhD. Told you he was clever! Anyways, I made this cake for our cookbook club hosted by Amanda from Lambs Ears and Honey, using this recipe from Emelia Jackson's beaut book You Had Me at Cake. "So many cakes, so little time" - to paraphrase that famous rockstar ...
![]() |
| the texture is delightful, said Mr P., the smooth talker :) |
Makes 1 x 20cm./8 inch cake:
ingredients for the cake:
190g./6.75 oz almond meal (or nut meal of your choice)
140g./5 oz plain flour
2.5 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt flakes
225g./8 oz butter, softened (at room temp. basically), cubed
225g./8 oz caster sugar
4 large eggs
1.5 tsp vanilla paste or extract
180 mL/6 oz milk or buttermilk see Notes
Crème frâiche, or thick cream, to serve with big slices of cake :=)
Maple-roasted apricots (or fruit of your choice):
6-8 ripe apricots, halved and pitted see Notes
2 Tbs maple syrup or honey
1 Tbs brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbs butter (Emelia says to melt it first, but why? It's going into the oven! So just dice it, I say)
Method:
Turn on your oven to 180C/350F to heat up, and line a 20cm/8 in cake tin with baking paper (or use an air fryer liner like I do!)
Grab a large mixing bowl, and whisk together the nut meal, the flour, the baking powder and salt with either your electric hand beaters or a stand mixer if you have one (I don't, so I use my hand beaters)
Then add the softened, cubed butter till you have a sandy mixture with no large lumps of butter - I didn't worry too much; I still had small lumps and it turned out just fine!
Now add the sugar, eggs, vanilla and (butter) milk, and mix till combined (but don't go crazy! - no gluten wanted here, my friends)
Pour the batter into the tin (never mind if it's a wee bit lumpy), and bake for 45-50 minutes till golden and a skewer pushed into its almond-y heart comes out clean
And as for the apricots: about 15 minutes before the cake is due to come out of the oven, grab yourself a small-ish baking dish, chuck in the fruity ingredients, giving it a good mix together, and place in the oven till the cake finishes baking
Take the cake and fruit out of the oven when they're ready, let the cake cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning it out onto a a wire rack to cool completely
Serve a big slice with some of the syrupy fruit (fruity syrup?) and a dollop of cream, crème frâiche or plain yoghurt
Notes:
As per, I didn't have any buttermilk lurking around, so I squeezed a small lemon to get juice (prob. 2 Tbs), which I stirred into the milk, and left to get thick and curdled-looking
Nor did I have any fresh apricots, 'cos it's winter here! So I grabbed a 700g. jar of Australian apricots in juice (which juice? A mystery, my friends); also no nett weight on the jar - grrrrrr! Anyways, I weighed out 270g./9.5 oz of the fruit, as Mr Google says the average weight of an apricot (with the pit) is 35g.-50g. Hoping that this was a suitable conversion; and yep, it worked out okay, but you could go for extra apricots, I reckon
![]() |
| ingredients gathered |
![]() |
| sandy with a few wee lumpy bits :=) - no worries! |
![]() |
| in go the wet ingredients |
![]() |
| looking glorious as it goes into the air fryer paper-lined tin! |
![]() |
| fruit etc going into my fave '60s enamel dish, with my cute new Japanese spoon) |
![]() |
| cake done, syrup done! |
![]() |
| looking so pretty |
![]() |
| everyone loved this cake - great flavour and texture |
Our neighbour came over for a piece after work. She said it was a fabulous cake, and asked for the recipe. Always a good sign :=) And it still tastes great after 2 days!












Very clever using airfryer liner to line the baking pan. Your pound cake looks celebration-worthy and delicious!
ReplyDeleteyes i saw that on a YouTuber's channel. So clever of her, and it works brilliantly. Thanks!
DeleteOh my gosh, how delicious was this? I hope to give thus a try...
ReplyDeleteit was delicious! Hubby and our neighbour said it was one of my best :)
DeleteThe cake looks delicious, I do love apricots with baked goods. I don't have that particular book of Emelia Jacksons, I own First Cream the Butter and Sugar. And noted also about the air fryer cake liners, great idea. A cookbook club hosted by Amanda would be special, so is that online, or is she in Brisbane? Hope you are feeling ok Sherry. x
ReplyDeletethanks Pauline. I love Emelia's recipes. Yep i was so glad to see that hack about the air fryer liners. The club is called Lambs Ears and honey. It is a facebook page that Amanda started up. She is in the adelaide hills i believe :)
DeleteI will wait for apricot season here to make the apricot part. That sounds so yum!
ReplyDeleteEmelia suggests using berries or other fruit too...
DeleteAppetizing result achieved even for this non-cake eater . . . you have managed to collect some very nice cutlery to boot . . . love the cake fork :) !
ReplyDeletethanks Eha. I do love some vintage cutlery!
DeleteSherry- What a delicious sounding recipe. I always love a good pound cake and the apricots take it to a new level.
ReplyDeletethanks Judee.
DeleteI love pound cakes but would sub the apricots for another fruit. Love the plates as I have some too!
ReplyDeleteyes you can easily sub a different fruit. The plates are so pretty!
DeleteThis sounds and looks delicious. Bookmarking for fall
ReplyDeletethanks Anne.
DeleteSherry, this pound cake looks absolutely gorgeous! Looks just like the kind of comforting dessert I crave at the weekend!
ReplyDeleteit was good thanks Neil. We all enjoyed it!
DeleteThank you for sharing this gorgeous looking cake. I must make one because it sounds delicious. Hope all is well!
ReplyDeletethanks Lori. Hubby is doing pretty well at the moment, and i am doing okay too. Health issues still abound but we are okay!
DeleteThat’s a real good looking cake Sherry, I’ve never seen canned apricots here in California. I have to look for them. I do have some homemade apricot jam. Would that work?
ReplyDeletethanks Gerlinde. Tinned apricots are very readily available here, but i think apricot jam might just work as you want a gloopy sort of topping on the cake...
DeleteGreat idea using the air fryer liners as a cake liner! I must try that one time :)
ReplyDeleteit works really well. The paper liner stays a wee bit moist on the bottom but it doesn't affect the cake.
DeleteI love a good pound cake and this one sounds delicious!
ReplyDeleteit was, Jeanie!
DeleteMy kind of cake! This looks so yummy and - just like that - my cup of tea seems lonely and sad.
ReplyDeleteAmalia
xo
hehehe ...
DeleteLooks delicious.
ReplyDeleterkrsrue.blogspot.com
Thank you!
DeleteThank you not only for this recipe that looks delicious, but also for those great memories Sherry. I haven't made a poundcake in ages. This has sown that seed. Wishing you a very happy week :)
ReplyDeletethank you Denise. And to you...
DeleteThat looks like a delicious pound cake, Sherry! I love to bake pound cakes, but I've never made one with almond meal like this. And that apricot topping looks perfect - nice job with the google weight!!
ReplyDeletethanks David. Almond meal keeps cakes wonderfully moist tho i might try hazelnut meal next time! Yes i seem to spend a lot of time working out measurements for the blog ...
DeleteI've never heard of a "share house." Maybe it's like a dorm? I've never made a pound cake, but that one looks fantastic.
ReplyDeletewhen we were students and older, we would rent a house together, either with friends or just rent a room in the house with strangers! Fun times!
DeleteOh this sounds SO good!
ReplyDeleteThanks Joanne.
DeleteI do the same, using a combination of almond flour and all purpose flour, and it gives the cake such a lovely texture. serving it with apricots makes your cake even more fabulous.
ReplyDeleteisn't almond meal/flour great? Yep the fruity syrup was great.
DeleteOoh this looks absolutely delightful.
ReplyDeletethat is very kind Hena.
DeleteThat golden crumb looks irresistible, Sherry.
ReplyDeleteYummm! 😋
thanks Veronica.
DeleteSounds delish! I was curious to see if you had fresh apricots in Queensland - anything seems possible in Queensland :-)
ReplyDeleteYep just about anything - but not stone fruit out of season - hehehe
DeleteI do hope you have kept up with him. Sounds like a great person to have around for his baked goods and trivia games. ;-) This almond pound cake sounds delightful -- and with the apricot topping? Outstanding. It will be a while before we get back to apricot season here buit I am saving the recipe and will look forward to it next spring! Thanks, Sherry!
ReplyDeletesadly no. He went off to England and that was that :(
DeleteWhat a wonderful burst of flavours, Sherry! Almond, maple-roasted apricots, and that beautiful pound cake sound absolutely delicious.
ReplyDeleteThanks Ben. It is a lovely pound cake; good old Emelia and her fab recipes.
DeleteWhat a wonderful burst of flavours, Sherry! Almond, maple-roasted apricots, and that beautiful pound cake sound absolutely delicious.
ReplyDeletethanks again Ben!
DeleteSherry, this pound cake is such a beauty, honestly the kind of bake that makes you stop and admire that golden crumb before diving in.
ReplyDeletethank you Raymund. It was good!
Delete