Monday 18 March 2019

DIY Pomegranate Molasses AKA Pomegranate Syrup

So just what did Adam and Eve eat in the Garden of Eden?  Some say apples; some say tomatoes; some say - yep, you guessed it! - pomegranates.  I even read that some people think it was bananas.  That made me laugh - a lot:-)  Bananas ain't even a fruit, baby.  A banana is a herb, and the banana 'tree' is in fact a great big doozy of a herb.  Yep, you heard it here.  (Tho' I did read the actual banana itself is sometimes called a berry, just to confuse you further.)  

The juice is readily available from the supermarket, but I had to weigh up whether I used wild and organic from Georgia (as in the former Soviet republic), or one that was made up of 70% Aussie fruit, or from concentrates ...  You get the picture.  I recommend using a local brand with as much 'real' juice as possible.  If you were really keen, you could buy fresh poms. and de-seed them and turn them into juice yourself.  Nope, I'm not that nuts either :-)  And it would cost you an absolute fortune!   



a tangy and delicious condiment


(Recipe - with a couple of small adjustments - from Simply Recipes website.)



Makes about one cup:



ingredients:


1 Litre of 100% pomegranate juice

1/2 cup (110g.) of sugar - white or caster

2 tbs of lime or lemon juice

4-6 tsp (20-30 mLs) of extra lime or lemon juice at the end of cooking (optional)


Method:


Tip the pomegranate juice into a large, non-reactive (for instance, stainless steel) pan, along with the sugar and lime juice

Give it a stir and bring to the boil on medium-high heat

Once boiling, turn it down to a simmer - i.e. bubbling happily and gently along, but not too crazily, and simmer away for about an hour

Check it and stir every ten minutes or so

Keep an eye on it, folks!  Especially towards the end of the hour, when it will suddenly go mad and bubble up like a crazy person and maybe go too thick - nah, I didn't do that ...  Phew, that was close!

You will know it is ready when it looks syrupy, and will happily coat the back of your wooden spoon.  Another way (and I did this just to be sure it was ready) is to pour the hot syrup into a measuring jug; if you have about a cup to a cup and a quarter (approx.), you're done:-)  

If you wish, you can add the extra lime or lemon juice at this point to refresh the syrup

Allow it to cool for about 5 minutes, then pour it into a sterilised and still warm bottle - see notes below

Keeps in the fridge for weeks!

Use in salad dressings, for marinades and so on;  anywhere you need a tangy punch (Will I say it? - yes I will - a punch for your food, not you.)



Notes:


I used bottled juice, but make sure it is 100% juice

I used one lime, but it was big and juicy - you may need two

If you do take it too far, and the syrup is very, very thick, later you can microwave the bottle which will allow you (hopefully) to pour some out when you need it

To sterilise the bottle/jar: wash in hot, soapy water, then rinse under hot tap water.  Put it into the oven @ 150C for 15 minutes

If you do want to make your own juice to start off, you will need about 8 apparently - and as they cost about $6 for one at the moment, you would be looking at a hefty price for this molasses!




gather the ingredients



simmer away for an hour (please excuse the steamy photo)



run your finger over the back of the spoon (yes, the saucepan is empty)


Be careful doing this, 'cos it will be hot.  If the syrup stays separated on the back of the spoon, it is done!





just over a cup of syrup



bottled and ready for the fridge



thick and syrupy and oh so tangy


Longtime readers may remember me talking about the 'banana police' here in sunny Queensland.  At our previous house, we had several banana plants in the backyard, full of fruit, huge cockroaches, massive spiders and bats ... yep, good times.  Apparently way back then in the dark ages, there were banana inspectors driving around the 'burbs checking that there were no more than three banana plants in your yard.  That is all relaxed now, and as of July 2016, you can have as many as you like, provided they come from an accredited nursery.  I guess 'bunchy top', that nasty banana disease, has been eradicated.  Oh the things you learn when researching food.  And I suppose they didn't have 'bunchy top' in the Garden of Eden :-) 




    pomegranate artwork by Sherry's Pickings


27 comments:

  1. What a clever one is Mrs P. this syrup is so flavourful and tangy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am saving this for the pomegranate season! Thanks for sharing, Sherry. Have a wonderful week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh this looks marvellous! And the banana police? How crazy is that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have thought about making pomegranate molasses but have too many things higher on the list. I am sure it is delicious and will try and check it out in Georgia later this year. Oh for a pomegranate tree in my garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly it would cost a packet to make it from the fruit so juice it is:-)

      Delete
  5. Love using pomegranate molasses in my cooking - especially Middle Eastern dishes. The last time I tried to make it, I burned the whole thing - wasn't paying close enough attention at the end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi kelly
      Yes I almost burned this lot:-). Those last minutes are crucial! Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  6. Pomegranate molasses is available here in stores -- made in Lebanon or somewhere else in the middle east. Both bottled juice and fresh fruits are very expensive here, making the ready-made stuff the least expensive option. I have a few recipes where it really contributes great flavor -- especially Muhammara, the red pepper and walnut spread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi mae
      Yes it’s a stunning flavour isn’t it? Fortunately the juice 🥤 is not that expensive here, so making molasses is a feasible proposition:-). Thanks for dropping by. X

      Delete
  7. Finding a good juice sounds like the key here - and then finding some good recipes for the molasses - I had some for a while and it was lovely. NEver thought to make it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Johanna
      It was a new thought to me too to make my own molasses but I’m so glad I did! Recipe with pom mol coming to the blog soon....

      Delete
  8. Sherry, I always learn something from your posts. I didn't know bananas were classified as an herb, but I do know. Great cost saving recipe. We use pomegranate molasses a lot and it's bloody expensive at the market. I'll be giving this a try soon. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ron
      Glad to be of service:). This is a very satisfying thing to make so definitely give it a go. Cheers Sherry

      Delete
  9. This syrup sounds wonderful and the possibilities for use are endless! Lol I did not know bananas are an herb, learn something everyday :-) . Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi stacey
      How nice to have you drop by my blog. Thanks for your comment. Always something to learn on other blogs isn’t there? Which makes it so much fun to read them. Cheers Sherry

      Delete
  10. I make pomegranate molasses from time to time. And each time I make it I sweat I won't let it get too thick. But it never fails -- too thick. :-( Still good, though. Fun read -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi KR
      do you make it like this? with the juice or do you start off with the fruit?

      Delete
  11. Love the art work. I have been thinking of making this syrup for along time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi debra
      it is an amazing taste so yes worth giving a go. cheers S

      Delete
  12. I remember many years ago, lamenting the fact that pomegranate molasses was impossible to source. Thankfully times have changed but I had never thought to make my own. I probably have a lifetime supply with what I have but I know where to come if required. (I'd never heard of bunchy top. Gave me a laugh - sounds like something to do with tights and knickers!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right about the Bunchy top. Definitely sounds like knickers.

      Delete
  13. Pomegranate good for health. you write it very well.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.