Tuesday 7 October 2014

Bounty-style egg cream drink

I was going over some old emails the other day and came across an old post by Lorraine from Not Quite Nigella, where she mentioned drinking an egg cream.  I thought this sounded a bit bizarre so clearly I needed to try it out for myself.   I checked up some recipes online and went ahead and made a Bounty-style drink- i.e. chocolate and coconut flavours.  So here it is; my version of a New York egg cream which has neither egg nor cream (those crazy New Yorkers!).

Ingredients:

4 tbs of chocolate syrup
1/2 cup almond milk or mylk (apparently that is the trendy spelling for non-dairy milk)
4 tbs coconut milk
soda water to fill up your glass

Method:

Grab a tall glass and pour the syrup into the bottom
Add the milk and coconut milk
Stir gently till combined
Pour the soda water in slowly so it doesn't go all over your kitchen bench

You will end up with a drink that has a slightly foamy top and is very refreshing.  One of the recipes I read suggested you blend the milk and syrup first in a blender then add the soda water, which sounds like a good idea.  The amounts above are enough for 2 people to share.  I think next time I will use only coconut milk so that the coconut flavour is more pronounced.  Obviously you could try different syrups and different milks; how about salted caramel syrup?  Mmmm I have a big bottle of that in my pantry.



Oops! Didn't mean to leave the price-tag on



foamy and delish!




(stock image) 




No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.