Tuesday 21 October 2014

Hummus - made with love and peanut butter

Well, Nigella has gazumped and pre-empted me!  There I was all ready to make this amazing hummus with peanut butter as per Jamie Oliver's suggestion the other night when lo and behold! what do I find on Facebook but a recipe from Nigella (Lawson) using peanut butter in her hummus.  I was slightly miffed! How dare she get ahead of me!  Anyways, you know I'm joking, right?:)  So here is my version of her recipe, slightly adjusted for people who are crazy about garlic.  I also halved her recipe as I was making it to try it out rather than for a big party - or just for herself.  She is fond of telling us that she eats everything up on her own!

Ingredients:

1 x 400g tin of chickpeas
2 cloves of garlic peeled but not chopped
30-40mls olive oil
3 flat tbs peanut butter- smooth, or crunchy if you like lumps - I do!
2-3 tbs lemon juice depending on your taste and the thickness of the hummus
1-2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp ground cummin
2-3 tbs Greek yoghurt
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
extra olive oil

Method:

Drain the chickpeas
Place them in the blender with the garlic, 30 mls of the olive oil, peanut butter, lemon juice, salt and cummin
Whizz away till you have a thick globby mix in the blender
Add the yoghurt and whizz again
Add more lemon juice and/or yoghurt, salt etc till you have the taste and viscosity you like
Keep adding, tasting and testing till you love it.
Serve it with smoked paprika and extra olive oil over the top
Eat it up with pita bread or vegie sticks or by the spoon




ingredients

getting ready to blitz

mostly blitzed!

all blitzed

ready for eating


File:YosriKacangKuda.jpg
chickpeas galore! (stock image)

12 comments:

  1. Hehe we've been making hummus with peanut butter for years-mainly because we always have it but don't always have tahini as I don't like it as much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hubby and i agreed that we actually like tahini better in this. I was glad to try it but I will stick to tahini I think:)

      Delete
  2. I love this idea with peanut butter. I like peanut butter better than tahini :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maureen
      I must be odd. I prefer tahini😃 tho my sister says I make everything with PB!

      Delete
  3. Oh well, Sherry, think of it as great minds...!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're ahead of your time, Sherry and definitely up to the minute with your recipes. I've never tried hummus with peanut butter and it sounds great. I'll give this a try xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's great Charlie. It is quite delicious but for me tahini wins by a nose:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sherry, never heard of peanut butter hummus before, sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never had hummus with peanut butter but it would be delicious - what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.