Thursday 14 May 2015

Toowoomba - Trendy, Tasty and Terrific

Mr P. and I were last up in Toowoomba about 18 months ago to see the spring Carnival of Flowers. He grew up there and remembers cycling to school in rain, hail or sleet; chopping wood for the fire, and throwing the snow off his bedclothes in the mornings.   Nah - kidding!  (Our American friend does tell stories of doing exactly that as she and her sisters slept on the porch without windows so the snow did come in over their beds during the night).  But Mr P. and his siblings did have to tough out the cold winters without heating in their rooms.  Actually so did my siblings and I in cold Melbourne weather!  Never mind all that, this story is about our trip last week to Toowoomba for a couple of nights so Mr P. could attend a conference up there.  And how magnificent it was, with glorious trees full of scarlet and yellow autumn leaves, brilliant blue skies and sunny days.


so stunning

golden leaves beginning to fall  

We had a quick lunch at the Park House cafe once we got to the top of the range, before settling into Beccles B&B, a really comfy and welcoming home away from home run by the lovely Janette and her 2 gorgeous dogs.


don't tell Janette how many biscuits I gave her :)

gorgeous day 

gotta love an all-day breakfast menu (excuse the shadows; I was sitting in direct sunlight)  

lovely front garden 

having wine and cheese in the delightful living room at Beccles

trendy elephant mural in a laneway  

love this artwork in the Regional Art Gallery  

what an amazing lightwell on the external wall of the Gallery   

inside the Gallery   

part of the Bimblebox exhibition currently showing   

Mr P. hanging out in a trendy laneway  

drinking coffee with the hipsters at Ground Up Espresso Bar 

my fave trendy mural!

Mr P. doing more hanging out 

but I'm not an ibis!, said the duck:)

guess what this is!  a chocolate shop

and where else do you go on a freezing cold Toowoomba night? 

you eat ice-cream of course!  

Mr P. loves strawberry  

We had such a lovely weekend; I highly recommend spending a couple of nights here especially if you like a bit of a chill in the air.  We will definitely be going back soon!  Oh, and I forgot to mention the heavenly breakfasts made by Janette. She had another guest staying when we did, who had to leave by 6:30 so Janette was up and about at some ungodly hour cooking up the bacon and eggs.  You won't need lunch after one of her fab breakfasts. 


the charming breakfast room at Beccles 

(All meals and accommodation independently paid for)

6 comments:

  1. Hehe I'm always surprised by the number of people that I see eating gelato or ice cream in the middle of Winter but I must admit I find myself joining the queue at times ;) What a nice little trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ice cream is good any time:). It was a fun trip.

      Delete
  2. It looks like a great weekend was had. Yes I remember being perpetually cold in Melbourne. Lucky these days we can afford heating or cooling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Toowoomba is a really pretty town and I'm always amazed at how cold it gets in winter considering it's almost as far north as Brisbane. I love your images of the art gallery - that's something I haven't seen xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi charlie
      toowoomba is on the crest of the Great Dividing Range, so it gets pretty cold! and their gallery tho small has lots going for it:)

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.